Prop Issues

armallard

Recruit
First of all let me say great forum. I have a 16x84 1987 Monarch flat bottom alum. jon boat with a 2004 25hp Mercury. It currently has a 10.38 x 13 prop on it. I'm currently looking at the ballastic prop. Does anybody have any reviews on this prop? never seen one with the blades clipped at the ends like that. Mainly looking for a good SS prop. I put a tape measure across my blades today and it measures around 9 inches from tip to tip and bent up pretty bad,my duck blind sits around alot of cypress knees:D. I suppose it needs to read around 10? It gps 24 mph with 2 guys close to 550 lbs. total and 2 guns,2 batteries and gear...have no idea if that is good/bad seem slow to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

armallard

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Issues

When measuring a three blade prop you measure from one blade tip to the exact center of the prop shaft and then multiply by 2. Blade tip to blade tip is not the true diameter. 2 time the radius is the true diameter. Next, read the sticky "READ THIS FIRST" at the top of the page to determine why nobody can help you. Your answer will be that you don't have a tach but that doesn't change anything. Without RPM numbers at wide open throttle with an average load you have no idea whether the prop you have vs the one you want is the correct way to go.

Bondo

Staff member

Mainly looking for a good SS prop. ,my duck blind sits around alot of cypress knees

Ayuh,....

You'll probably do Better with another Aluminum prop,....

A SSteel wheel will telegraph all those Hits to the driveline Gears, causing Motor Problems,...
Rather than Bent Blades....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

First of all let me say great forum. I have a 16x84 1987 Monarch flat bottom alum. jon boat with a 2004 25hp Mercury. It currently has a 10.38 x 13 prop on it. I'm currently looking at the ballastic prop. Does anybody have any reviews on this prop? never seen one with the blades clipped at the ends like that. Mainly looking for a good SS prop. I put a tape measure across my blades today and it measures around 9 inches from tip to tip and bent up pretty bad,my duck blind sits around alot of cypress knees:D. I suppose it needs to read around 10? It gps 24 mph with 2 guys close to 550 lbs. total and 2 guns,2 batteries and gear...have no idea if that is good/bad seem slow to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

armallard

Is that 16 X 84 or 16 X 48? Usually jons are measured at the bottom 48 being the width of the bottom.13" pitch is slightly toward the high side. a 25 is rated at about 32 mph on a stock light fast boat.You have a fair load on an unknown setup with a poor prop.Best to get the prop repaired get a tinytach and a gps get back to us with rpm & speed light and loaded.Also the Ativent plate (just above the prop)even with the bottom of the boat is considered a starting point.Usually can go higher to a point just before venting becomes a problem.Correct rpm and speed is critical for best performance and motor health.