Sheboygan, WI to Door County/Egg Harbour

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for any tips/suggestions/information on running up the lake from from Sheboygan, WI to Egg Harbour...

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sheboygan, WI to Door County/Egg Harbour

small world! im from plymouth!

if i had any tips i would help you out. but im new to boating. i saw the city sheboygan and thought it was weird. good luck!

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, "from" Sheboygan. Moved to Madison years ago, but still have family there. It's a good mid-point between all my family and friends, so we typically launch from there. Should be a good trip.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

what kind of boat do you have?

bear_69cuda

Commander

Sounds like a cool trip!

I'm in Middleton, and new to boating...

What boat do you have?

Curious is mine would be safe on a trip like that?

Incorrigible

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Local boating. Excellent.

On Mendota I have a 22' Mach 1 (if you're out on Mendota much, you've seen it I'm certain, it's red/white/blue)

For trips such as the one up the lakeshore on Michigan I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a 30' Wellcraft Scarab offshore. I've done Sheboygan to Milwaukee a number of times in the Mach 1, and had very little issue, but when weather goes bad (which happens rather quickly) it can be a challenging trip home.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

thats awesome! yeah i dont think my boat can make it. its a 15.5 foot crestliner trihull. its got enough motor (80 hp) but its small...

i wish i had a boat that could go on lake michigan and take some trips.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It'll be a nice trip, especially once you get to the peninsula. I live just outside Sturgeon Bay and work summers as a dock attendant for the Harbor Club marina (next to the old bridge) so If you come in looking for a slip, you'll probably talk to me. A lot of boaters like to head up to Whitefish Dunes on the lake side for the afternoon. Egg Harbor is nice, but just a little further is Fish Creek, which has a little more night life and is near Peninsula Park. I am not sure what your time frame is, but the trip up to Washington and Rock islands is really an adventure. That way you can go up Green Bay and come down Lake Michigan, or depending on the wind, choose the one with the best conditions. I do that trip about once a year and camp on Rock Island. The key is to give yourself enough time so you aren't forced to boat when its not safe. Personally, I'd trailer the boat to Sturgeon Bay then take off from there, as south of the peninsula is not nearly as interesting. Just remember to bring your camera.

mrcool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I live in the Madison area (Deerfield) we normally put in at Babcock park at lake Waubesa and come up the Yahara river to lake Monona. sometimes we come thro the locks and into Lake Mendota, but there are not enough good places to stop on that lake:mad: Where do go, other than at the Edgewater?? I'll look for your boat this summer:)

deerhuntre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to school in Madison a long time ago. Used to fish three times per week. 15 minute walk from the apt to John Nolan Dr. Anyhow, I'm planning a trip with my 6 yr old son and my wife. Madison lakes are some of my favorite!! I love the pan fishing and want to share that with my family. I was thinking of concentrating on Monona, but would really appreciate suggestions and ideas. I haven't boated there for years.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i have family in the madison area. i'll ask them where they like to fish.