trailer bunks

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer
HI guys hope all your new years were great,

I have a trailer question for you. My boat is a bear to retrieve, I belive it is due to the trailer set up.
Currently it has two vertical bunks (2x8 on their sides) and keel rollers in the middle also pvc type side posts. It is very difficult to get it to load straight on the trailer without alot of adjustmests an hassles. MAny times I have had to junp in the water an physically move it over. Normally this is not an issue but we are going to be taking it to some very busy areas and I dont want to be the @#$*%ss that cant get his boat straight on the trailer.
SO I have seen some boats with some bunks towards the front that kind of grab the V and help guide it on straight. I am unsure what to call these and where to get them, or how to make them.
Sorry no pics still workibg on a new camera.
Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
BTW the boat is a Glastron Bowrider 18ft
Thanks

salty87

Commander
Re: trailer bunks

putting the trailer in too deep can cause problems like that too.

my trailer has bow bunks, not really a full bow stop like some do.

this is the only pic i have...

notonbowstop.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it sounds like you are backing in too deep. also self center roller or 2 will really help. moving you guide on post closer to the boat helps, i only have 1/2 inch clearance on each side of my boat. it only has one place to go, where it belongs.

http://www.iboats.com/Self_Centerin...31175048--**********.238811994--view_id.56624

the roller has to go on the right way, or it will move the boat away from center.

a70eliminator

Captain

you mean horizontal bunks?
Remember: a virgin stands up (verticle)
a ***** lays down (*****zontal)

If your trailer isn't an ezloader then you have to get it just the right depth, and if you miss the center roller your done, back off and try again, when I say ezloader I mean a trailer that has a V shape and not just flat across.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

You could also add a second set of PVC post guide on's up forward. If the (4)posts are vertical and set CLOSE to the rail, the boat HAS to line up correctly.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Do you mean like this?

Attachments

• home_main_graphic.jpg
    home_main_graphic.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Yes Craig exactly like that!

What are the front bunks called or is there a technical name for them.
Also my trailer is set up a bit different. It does not have the dips in the middle like that but goes straight across. Which I guess from A70 means it is not an EZ loader type. Which I kinda figured since it is so hard to load.

Can I just put some more brackets and mount bunks up there or is there something specific that I need to do?
Thanks

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah that's how my brothers trailer is set up.

When I get around to working on my trailer I'm definitely changing to that style.

It works great no matter how deep your boat is.

They are really just there for that job- positioning the boat.

AND a big plus in my book is you really don't need the pvc posts as the boat will center it self. The posts always seem to get in they way of my lines. I always launch and retrieve by myself even when I have people with me, it's just become easy for me to do quicker. I don't even like the low side bunks either, but it's really just a matter of what works for you.

(Side note on that I have no idea of how I'm gonna back my trailer in to get my boat this summer when I'm bringing it on some trips. Problem being I'll be towing with my girlfriends 3/4 ton Chevy crew-cab that has a small lift on it. That trailer is gonna be lost back there. Maybe I'll buy her a back up camera. Neighbors mailbox will like that too.)

I tried to find a name for them on a couple websites for you but had no luck.

All you should need are some brackets and bunks, pretty standard stuff.

I don't see why you'd need the dips in the cross-members, mine doesn't and I've spent a good number of beers looking at it, so I'm sure it will work.

Might want one of those rubber pads on the center of the rear most cross-member just in case you load kind of shallow once.

tashasdaddy

you could still mount a self centering roller here, marked in red. and guide ons (blue) it can only load properly.

7-4-08ORMONDBCH010.jpg

Attachments

• home_main_graphic.jpg
    home_main_graphic.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

The "Spool Type Keel Rollers" shown here make my boat loading work well: http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Trailer_...7918394--**********.823767627--view_id.238442

And the attached picture shows the forward bow guides (red arrow) I have (oriented 90 degrees from the ones in prior post) which insure nearly perfect loading every time. I made post guide-ons in 2002 when I rebuilt my trailer, but never installed them and actually question at this point if I will ever need them.

My 2 cents

Attachments

• forward.jpg
    forward.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks so much guys!

I ordered two self centering rollers from Iboats, when they come in I will get them in and see how they work. Also as TD said earlier I think I may be backing in a bit too deep, but with some of the ramps that I use sometimes you have to do it that way. Boat is at the Yammi place gettin a christmas present tune up right now so I will have to wait till Next week to do anything further to it. But between the guide ons, self centering rollers and the front bunks that I am going to make I think I will get her loaded correctly this season.
Thanks again guys for all the help. This is the greatest website ever!!

tashasdaddy

something, when not alone, you can experiment in depth, have a driver in the car, move the trailer and see how it loads. i know on deep steep ramps, i start loading then have the trailer moved back a little, so you can easily winch those last few inches.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes it is not the trailer, but the particular combination of trailer and boat: I have a 3500 or 3800 lb capacity Caulkins trailer. When I had my 18 foot Renkin on it, it would load straight every time no matter what I did. I sold that boat and put a 21 foot cuddy on the trailer and it will not go on straight no matter what I do. I have tried every conceivable position of rollers and every depth in the water. All nine center rollers are self centering type. No matter---reliable--always goes on crooked. I gave up! I always carry a jack and 2 X4 to pry it into position after I drag it off the ramp. At least that works every time. I do find that the problem is way less severe if I leave the rearmost roller just above the water. Not a problem for me because I have an electric winch. I don't need to grunt and strain winching the boat up.