89 MERCURY 115hp Starting/Choke issue

two2imes

Cadet
All was working fine then wouldnt start as normal. Got stuck on water and had to be towed :confused:
Manually opened choke and she fired right up revving quite high, then blew a fuel line and fuel started pouring out but relieved as it did start and shouldnt be too major. any ideas on what to try ? Does this mean my choke is broken or maybe fuel pump ? (obviously need to replace busted fuel line)
Thanks in advance from first time poster . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 89 MERCURY 115hp Starting/Choke issue

fix fuel line, then try it. could be just that simple.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Does that motor have choke plates? Normally the later models have a enrichener system that pumps raw fuel into the carb throats.

I had thought choke plates went away by the mid eighties.

two2imes

Cadet

hey - def not cause of the fuel line - tht burst today and boat wouldnt start for a week/out on the water. Not sure what choke plates are but has silver disc thingys that cover the 4 carbs or intake thingys.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I looked up a '89 115 Merc. It is a four cylinder inline motor, four carbs and no choke plates. It has a motor mounted enrichener solenoid, which is connected to the fuel pump and dumps fuel into the carbs to richen them up for cold start. Is that what you have? If you are opening the throttle plates, the motor will naturally speed up.

two2imes

Cadet

Hey- yes thts my engine . . . . so if the choke isnt working, what should i try ?

two2imes

Cadet

ok sorry i may be getting confused - i keep calling it a "choke" but i guess its not from reading this - its the pre starting mechanism. Sorry :confused:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK - Remove the airbox so you can see the carb throats. Now push the button on the top of the enrichener solenoid and pump the primer bulb. You should see fuel run into the carb throat. Now have someone push the choke button and the solenoid should activate and again you should see fuel in the carb throats. if you do not see fuel, troubleshoot the system and see if the power is not getting to the solenoid, or the solenoid or fuel lines are bad or clogged.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To add to Chris's good advice, follow the below guide to further troubleshoot the enrichener system.

Attachments

• Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 8