Sealant question

bear_69cuda

Commander
Morning gang,

I'll soon be attaching various things to the inside and the outside of my boat.

Transducer mount (I plan on using sealant on all outer hull screw/holes in fiberglass). Other items requiring fasteners are, charging relay, shore charging system, stereo amp. etc. I have two types of sealant from West Marine. Can't remember their names? One is blue and the other red? :D I do believe one is for above water line, and one below.

My questions are,

Do I apply the sealant on everything? All the screws and bolts applied to the floor, inside the hull, motor-box, and other areas I plan on using them?

And,

How do I apply this sealant? On the end of the screw/bolt threads before installed? Drill holes and squeeze sealant into holes before hardware is installed? Carpet would make this difficult...

Thanks in advance for any advice...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sealant question

if you can cut the carpet away enough, to get sealant under mount. water wicks to dry carpet. then the mount holds the water there. if you think it can get water, seal it.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I hate the carpet!

Next boat is definitely gonna have a glassed or vinyl deck. Maybe snap in carpet, or a textured floor...

Should I still apply the sealant to the threads as well?

Thanks!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would put the sealer on any part that touches or goes through the hull. I have had great results using BoatLife sealer. Its clear, dries rubbery, and adhears to fiberglass very well, but does not harden like 3m 5200 or 4200, so it won't crack and fail with the expansion/contraction of parts.