1990 175XP shift cable adjustment problem

mvketch

Recruit
Any help would greatly be appreciated...
I need to know the proper way to adjust the shifting cables and components. I have adjusted the plastic cable nut by the carbs but it seems it works good in reverse and not forward or vise versa.. please help!!!!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 175XP shift cable adjustment problem

Push the control arm all the way forward and then back to neutral and disconnect the cable at the engine.

Determine that the gearcase is in neutral (prop should spin freely).

Push the control arm fully forward again and then back to neutral. Using the trunnion wheel, adjust the cable to slip back on at the engine without further movement of the shift lever.

If the gearcase has been removed, the shift rod may have been turned, in which case the shift rod measurement will have to be reset.

mvketch

Recruit

Thank you, not sure if the LU has been removed, can you possibly tell me the procedure and adjustment for the shift rod just in case i need to go that far please?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You would need to remove the gearcase and to set the length of the shift rod to specifications.

The shift rod is lengthened by turning clockwise.

The measurement is from the mating surface of the gearcase to the center of the hole at the top of the shift rod.

Long shaft 22-1/16? +/- 1/32?
Extra long shaft 27-1/16? +/- 1/32?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if original cable, it could be stretched, causing your problem.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

You would need to remove the gearcase and to set the length of the shift rod to specifications.

The shift rod is lengthened by turning clockwise.

The measurement is from the mating surface of the gearcase to the center of the hole at the top of the shift rod.

Long shaft 22-1/16? +/- 1/32?
Extra long shaft 27-1/16? +/- 1/32?

Should the clutch be in the neutral position for the measurement?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The gearcase should be in neutral.

You can make a fairly good measuring tool with a pair of yardsticks and a crosspiece or two, measuring with your most accurate measuring device to the top of the crosspiece. The offset on the shift rod should face forward.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCF0797.JPG
    Copy of DSCF0797.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 0