You guys rock.....now!

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, the 1966 fastwin 18hp is ruining like a new one. Thanks everyone :D
Now I need to fix my 1988 Johnson 20hp electric start. My lower cylinder has water in it (last time I ran it) I changed the head gasket. Still had water. I used a piece of glass and 120 sand paper sanded down the head reinstalled the gasket ---still had water. Now it's seized up. I'll get it free soon. My ? is, could that be exhaust? A bad gasket? Because it's also not--er was not running constant water from that pee thing at the base of the motor.I'm wondering if both problems are connected? :confused:

It's seized up cuz it sat.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: You guys rock.....now!

Could have overheated her, when was the water pump last rebuilt? May be time to start with that. If the tell tale stops pumping water, shut her down IMMEDIATELY.

Check the compression, or open her up and have a peek, before proceeding.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: You guys rock.....now!

Ok, the 1966 fastwin 18hp is ruining like a new one. Thanks everyone :D
Now I need to fix my 1988 Johnson 20hp electric start. My lower cylinder has water in it (last time I ran it) I changed the head gasket. Still had water. I used a piece of glass and 120 sand paper sanded down the head reinstalled the gasket ---still had water. Now it's seized up. I'll get it free soon. My ? is, could that be exhaust? A bad gasket? Because it's also not--er was not running constant water from that pee thing at the base of the motor.I'm wondering if both problems are connected? :confused:

It's seized up cuz it sat.

"Reinstalled" the old gasket? That's a no-no. Yes, the exhaust cover baffle plate or gaskets could be the problem. But you have other problems now. The siezed up situation could be catastrophic bearing rusting. If that is the case, just put it out at the curb for the trash pickup. Nah, never throw any old outboard stuff away...part it out.

EDIT: Seein' as it's Bradenton, I am assuming it is salt water that got in there. When that happens, you have 24 hours maximum to get it out or you will have junk.