Frozen steering cable

mnydvr

Seaman
can anybody give me an easy way to get the shaft out of the steering bracket on an outboard,its frozen and penetrating oil is not working,thought maybe you had a better way before I put the "heat wrench " to it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Frozen steering cable

i use a hammer, drive it thru, then a drift rod to get it all the way thru, you may have to cut the cable side, sawzall with metal blade.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yep, there is no easy way. Pound, cut and bash. If bad enough, replace the tilt tube and all.

And don't let it get that way again. Remove, clean and re-lube it on a regular maintenance schedule, and it won't be happening.

EDIT: Most motors have nylon or Delrin bushings in the tilt assembly. Using torch will melt them.

James R

Commander

Putting a wrench on the flat of the stearing rod and working clock and anticlock may help to loosen it up. Cutting the cable off the rod and knocking the rod alternately from each end. May also help. Work penetrating oil in as best you can. If you have a grease gun that can hold penetrating oil try forcing oil thru the Xerxe fittings.
Don't recommend heat

F_R

Supreme Mariner

On many/most engines, the zerk fittings do not lubricate the steering, only the tilt. That's why the cable has to be removed to lubricate.

mnydvr

Seaman

the flat end has athreaded end on it so rotating THAT is out,it should not be THAT stuck,it work last year,I'm thinking a good shot with a 3lb hammer sould get it loose,no,i really don't wanna use heat,i don't know how it got this bad,this is MY boat,i take care of it very well,oh yeah, excuse the typo's i got the little one in my lap and he wants to try type also ! thank guys, lets hope this don't turn into a nightmare,i need this for work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they rust up in there, takes a lot to get them out. especially if it has been in salt water.

mnydvr

Seaman

I ve done them before but it is usually"well we're gonna have to replace it" and we do what we can and end up putting a cable on the bill,but I was hoping that being that it was MY work boat ,I might be able to get it out ,run a shot gun barrel cleaning brush on adrill with w-d through the cylinder and put it back together like I do most of the times on THIER boats and be done ,but you know how it goes when its YOUR boat,I'll probably end up replacing the tube ,the cable and with my luck somthing will go wrong at the helm and I'll end up replacing that TOO !!!!!!:redface:

jpullin

Recruit

Once you get it out and the new one installed, do not use grease on it. Use only light weight oil and be sure to wipe it clean and re-oil it after every use to keep it in good shape. Grease will collect too much dirt and grease and make it too hard to keep clean.