Walleye locator

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone tried this? A native fellow said that when he catches his first fish he hauls it up quick, attaches a long line to it with a large safety pin just under the dorsal fin. The line is connected to a seagull decoy, and he throws it back in quick. He says the fish will immediately swim back to it school and stay with it. All you have to do is follow the decoy to stay on the fish???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Walleye locator

Never heard of that being used with walleyes, but it sure does work with crappies.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

how do you get the line and decoy back? well...besides chasing the seagull i guess...that doesnt seem too legal.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but like you said, it works for crappies. I fish Lake Erie and that's a big body of water.

Bondo

Staff member

that doesnt seem too legal.

Ayuh,.... Highly Illegal everywhere I've ever fished....

'course,...
If by Chance you had a legally mouth hooked fish, that got away, with a really Loong line,+ your bobber got caught up on that Loong line,...
It would be your moral responsibility to keep chasing that fish, til you could Unhook the poor thing....
And,...
Just Maybe,... You might catch your limit while trying to do the Right Thing.....

WATERHAM

Seaman Apprentice

Mars never heard of that trick, might acually spook others thinking of nabbing nearby lures. Your fish locator should be your first Walleye caught, after all the are for most of the year schooling in nature. Then try to produce exactly what got you the first bite on other lines (line length, board distance, lure size shape color) until you develop a pattern. If you have a Gps mark a waypoint everytime you catch a fish it's an efficient way to develop trolling patterns. Quick Bites, Quick Limits, Happy Fisherman. For crankbait depths check out the Precision Trolling Guide by Mark Romanack that thing isn't 2' away from me when fishing at all times.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never tried it, but it didn't sound legal. Then again it's the first time I heard of that. Maybe the MNR also. Thanks Marsbar

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

So most places where I fish seagulls are chasing bait, and the fish I am trying to catch is trying to eat bait, but the bait runs away from the seagulls.

Hey what do I know? :)

Shizzy

Ensign

thats going to get you in some trouble here in MN. rules against harassing wildlife and im sure they would get you for having an unattended line.