Brake Actuator with no brakes

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone!!!

I have a surge brake actuator but do not have brakes installed on any of my 4 wheels. The hydraulic line was cut off about 1ft aft of the actuator. While driving to the ramp and home, the actuator BANGS forward when I brake, or BANGS to the back when I accelerate.

My question is, can I continue to pull my trailer in this condition with out harm. When I do install brakes ( which I plan for SOMETIME in 2009 ), I will replace the actuator as well. I'm wondering if the thing will disintegrate at the wrong time if I continue to use it like this.

Thanks!!

Seon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Brake Actuator with no brakes

You should either re-connect the brake line so that you'll have brakes or change out the actuator to a coupler.

128121_med.gif

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't you just unbolt it and remove?

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you current boat is the one listed in your signature ---- get the brakes working again ASAP!
You can usually jam a piece of wood into the actuator to prevent it from moving --- I have used this approach to disable the actuator to back boat trailers uphill. The constant jarring of an empty actuator will be tough on the tow vehicle and trailer fastners.

lmannyr

Yes, my signature is up to date. My truck has no problems stopping the rig. I know FL requires Brakes for my rig. I'll get them as soon as I can afford'em.

Stainless kodiaks are pricey. 1400 + shipping for 4 wheels. I need to save up for that one.

I drive below the speed limit and cruise to red lights. I'll put off the brakes until my other boat projects are done.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Fill the coupler with fluid and repalce the brake line fitting with a plug. That will stop the coupler from banging until you get brakes on the trailer.

HappierWet

Fill the coupler with fluid and repalce the brake line fitting with a plug. That will stop the coupler from banging until you get brakes on the trailer.

Hydraulic Shock Absorber???

Actually this is probably the best short term fix I've heard..as long as he bleeds the actuator before plugging it. There's no air or worse condensation to corrode the workings. Wish I'd thought of it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You could well be in deep stuff if some jerk cuts you off or runs a light so you T-bone him. Never mind you can stop under normal conditions, the law requires brakes on the trailer and they have been disabled. You are at fault and your insurance company might not want to pay a claim that you incurred while knowingly breaking the law.

Move brakes to the top of the to-do list. In the meantime, dingbat's suggestion makes sense to me.

lmannyr

Dingbat's suggestion is a very good suggestion indeed! Thanks for the tip.

JB, you bring up a good point. I'll have to make brakes a priority.

Happy New Year!!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Uhhh! Not trying to be nasty BUT: Get your priorities straight! Put off the other projects until you get the brakes. You may not live to complete them the other way. You can be as careful as possible but you CAN NOT account for the actions of other drivers. BOY! You make me glad I don't live in Florida.

lmannyr

The Cap was stuck on. The brake line fell apart when I put a screw into it. Cut about a foot from the brake line and tried to put the screw in but the line is too brittle. The cylinder is rusted as well. I managed to remove the cap but only by destroying the plastic cap. The inside was rusted. Put fluid in it and cycled the actuator some and there was no difference.

So going to "Plan B"

I got a standard 3" channel with 2" ball coupler from Walmart made by Reese. Problem is it's rated for only 3k lbs. My trailer capacity is 7K lbs. Iboats doesn't sell a couple for a 7k lb trailer either.

Is the rating for tongue weight or gross trailer weight?

Thanks!!!

mphy98

Lieutenant

sorry but MICKEY MOUSE!! Please do it right. You may be careful driving but you live in the land of blue hair and white knuckles. It is a big lawsuit waiting to happen.

lmannyr

mphy98,

I realize the dangers that no breaks bring. Unfortunately, I CAN"T AFFORD purchasing a SS setup at this time. Once I can, it will be the next BIG purchase for the boat this year.

Meanwhile, I need some advise on a temporary fix so I don't screw up the joints, my truck, etc... as mentioned in the post.

THANKS!!!

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mphy98,

I realize the dangers that no breaks bring. Unfortunately, I CAN"T AFFORD purchasing a SS setup at this time. Once I can, it will be the next BIG purchase for the boat this year.

Meanwhile, I need some advise on a temporary fix so I don't screw up the joints, my truck, etc... as mentioned in the post.

THANKS!!!

All joking aside, and I'm completely serious when I say, you'd be an ******* to operate your truck and trailer in a temporary/underbraked fashion. I wouldn't feel any pitty for you if you wrecked but hoped that you wouldn't kill anyone in the process.

I had a situation a few years ago where a guy rearended me while his truck and trailer were overloaded. Thankfully no one was hurt but his insurance bailed on him immediately. He thought he would get off scott free until my insurance company went to bat. They claimed he was an uninsured motorist and ended up sueing him for all damages including their court fees. I got my deductible back and a new car out of the deal.

Moral of the story...pay the $1400 for brakes. It could easily save you $20,000 in someone elses new car, court fees, and a bruised ego. If you can't afford new brakes right now then you are not affording to operate your boat.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Looking at some of your posts this trailer has been giving you some problems in other areas also(broken axel etc.) from what im reading(my opinion) nothing sounds too safe about this trailer. Maybe you should take your $1,400 and purchase a good used trailer that is mechanicly sound, there all over the place....$1,400 for disk brakes???? i did a trailer for way way way less than than that??? These were not fancy or anything.. Why not do drum brakes they are a Heck of alot cheaper?? and if money is a issue drums would be up your alley and make your rig safe.... also add another $400.00 or so on your brake price for a new actuator.
Denny

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

A few years ago a lawyer friend of mine had an accident with his new F-150 and a car trailer with inoperable surge brakes. Truck damage,trailer total loss,guardrail [state property]. Insured with personal insurance,and business insurance,claims all denied by both ins companies.-Cost him 10s of thousands of dollars 'out of pocket',and he's an attorney.!!!

Last edited:

lmannyr

Looking at some of your posts this trailer has been giving you some problems in other areas also(broken axel etc.) from what im reading(my opinion) nothing sounds too safe about this trailer. Maybe you should take your $1,400 and purchase a good used trailer that is mechanicly sound, there all over the place....$1,400 for disk brakes???? i did a trailer for way way way less than than that??? These were not fancy or anything.. Why not do drum brakes they are a Heck of alot cheaper?? and if money is a issue drums would be up your alley and make your rig safe.... also add another $400.00 or so on your brake price for a new actuator.
Denny

There isn't a trailer in my neck of the woods that will buy me a trailer with operable brakes in the 22-24ft range. All my trailer needs now is the brakes and actuator. In time, I will purchase those and have a practically new trailer.

So far...
New axles, bearings, and hubs.
All stainless hardware,
New Bunk brackets.
New Break lights.
New Clearance lights (3 on each side)
New Tires.

Any trailer in this condition will be WAY over 1400 bucks, and more with breaks.

I have found a resolution for the problem. Thanks for the advise though. Trust me, I want the breaks soon, real soon! I'll keep everyone updated.

lmannyr

Every day is a good day to drive in front of me, you'll be passing me by and gaining distance in no time with my old fart driving style. No accidents, tickets, warnings, etc in 15 years.

skargo

Banned

So did you ever fix your brakes?