repair or replace console?

JPONZ

Recruit
hello, anyone know where i can get a sea nymph console repaired or replaced. i believe it is a thin plastic material from a mold. boat is a 94 fm161. my pics seem to be to big to post. thanks:

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: repair or replace console?

i believe it is a thin plastic material from a mold.

If that's the case, why spend the effort and money on another one?
Make a new one that'll be stronger and last longer - for WAY less money.

Here's my 14 footer with a home-made console:

OnNewTrailer003.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I believe Sea Nymph went under with OMC, I know Godrfrey bought the facility in Syracuse.

Someone may have bought the name btu I would be REALLY usprised if you could get a con for a boat that old, boats aren't like cars where there is an endless supply of parts.

The only for sure thing you can do is fix the one you have, a con is kind of an odd ball item to look for but I suppose try Ebay or search for a salvage yard that has one.

Good luck.

JPONZ

Recruit

thanks for all the advice. i think we will build a whole new console as one reader said. i have a carpenter that can make a custom one from plywood in the dimensions i need. would anyone know what material we could use to cover the plywood so it doesn't look like we just have a plywood painted console? also thanks for the pic on the boat with the new one that was made. great job! looks like a factory install. jp

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

google Todd Consoles. they have many to choose from. i have used several of them over the years.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Repairing the original shouldn't be too difficult, and you can use either marine vinyl to cover it or even have a body shop (at a trade school to save money) professionally paint it. My 2 cents...

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

You can cover the new plywood with Fiberglass or If you like your old one you can re glass it or you can use it as a foundation for a new design

ruffinit

Seaman Apprentice

I am in the middle of restoring a '95 fm161. I planned to just re-power and re-paint, but I kept on going.I had the same issue, and also saw your post on locally on CL, (so I think you must also be in NJ).
My console was not as badly cracked as yours, but still had some damage.
I rebuilt mine with Marine-Tex from Boater's World. MT is a two-part expoy putty. I just filled in back of console with newspaper and worked MT into cracked/broken areas. Once dry, I sanded and painted.
I can't say how it will hold up, but I think the repaired parts are stronger than the original.