200 Hp Mariner - Smoking and running like sh#t

I have a late 90's carburated 200 HP Mariner. The motor started surging when running in the mid range. I replaced a couple of spark plug wires and all plugs. I checked the spark from the plug wires and there is a white spark at all wires. The motor is now running terrible. I cannot give it throttle without it dying and it is producing alot of blue smoke. Also will not idle in gear. What should the spark look like, white or blue. I am suspecting bad coils but may be off track. Thanks

I took one pair of carbs off and cleaned. The motor is not smoking now. Spark was checked as recommended and seems good. The motor is cutting out and mid to high range and stalls when idling in gear. I am feeling like a power pack or two is suspect, but am unsure. Any further ideas, and thanks for all the help thus far.

Last edited:

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 200 Hp Mariner - Smoking and running like sh#t

I checked the spark from the plug wires and there is a white spark at all wires.

Assuming that you checked the spark using a spark tester set for the proper gap, then I would conclude that the spark is OK. I suggest that you next check for a fuel related problem. For example, the carbs may need cleaning or a carb float may be leaking.

and it is producing alot of blue smoke

If the amount of blue smoke is typical of flooding, that further indicates a carb problem. If the blue smoke is worse than that, then it may indicate a problem with the oil injection. There are a few check valves on the oil system that if defective, can cause too much oil to be mixed with the gas causing excessive smoke at startup.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for the response. I mix the fuel manually. I guess I will pull the carbs and start there.

j_martin

Admiral

Odds are, if you squeeze the primer bulb hard, the bad carb will leak fuel.

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Spark should be a CRISP blue arc, anything less will result in a poor flame ignition and cause the motor to act as if it were flooding.

Check spark agaiin using and adjustable gap spark tester set to 7/16 inch.

If it does not snap with a hot blue arc then you should troubleshoot the ignition system.

If weak spark on ALL cyl's then suspect the stator and direct testing there. DO NOT order ANy parts until proven wrong/bad. There is NO RETURN etc.... and some are expensive, you do not want to buy parts needlessly.

One of the guys has the link to the directions, or search the CDI Electronics site for their great Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting Guide. A copy is also posted somewhere here on iboats, I don't know the page #.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One usually gets more comments after reporting back on which of the previously provided troubleshooting suggestions were followed and what was found out. That has been my experience anyway...