Tohatsu 4hp 4strk float adjustment

captwill

Recruit
My 4hp 4 stroke Factory Tohatsu Service Manual does not describe how to adjust the float on my carburetor. I e-mailed Tohatsu Guru on internetboats.com and a Carol responded with the advice to adjust for a level float. When I hold the carb upside down, the float is almost level, but with very slight finger pressure I can push it down until it stops. The float is now about 10-20 degrees below level. There is some spring action there. Should I adjust the valve upward from that point to make it level ? .
Bill

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tohatsu 4hp 4strk float adjustment

How are you going to adjust it? Doesn't the needle just slide into a plastic slot on the float?

Mine does and it's not adjustable.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Adjust the float until it's level...That's it. Don't make it more complicated than it is.

pvanv

Admiral

There is a spring load on the needle. Helps compensate for vibration, and prevents the needle from ramming into the seat as fuel sloshes in the bowl. But the needle is closed as soon as the spring load comes in contact. We normally set the 4/5/6 4-stroke so that the float sits level when held down by gravity only -- not by "helping" it down with a finger push -- otherwise, you may end up with a low float level when just using gravity.

captwill

Recruit

Thanks guys. That explained it very well. I just have to bend the horizontal tab a little to get the float level.
Bill