Shift control operation?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
1972 OMC stringer originaly w/302 (888) Curious on this type of shift lever. It has the shift lever with like a broken button or slide switch on top. Was this to unlock lever from neutral? It shifts now whithout that button (slide). Beside that is a small lever about 4" that moves from centerto aft and can't figure out the operation of that or what it's for? When we move the main shift lever it moves the carb linkage. I assume that it must also engage the elec shift too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Shift control operation?

Since no one else has responded I will give it a shot. I THINK the small lever is a throttle advance - sort of like a fast idle cam. I know I used to have an Erinrude electric shift outboard and I seem to remember that it had a separate little lever to advance the throttle while you were in neutral to help it start. That's just a guess based upon my sometimes fallible memory. :( :confused:

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like this?

Helm.jpg

This is on my 72 SS215 Slickcraft.

Randy

Gazza1

Seaman Apprentice

Now I could be wrong here.. I think that "little button" is to lock it in neutral so that it can not be bumped into gear

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

The manual says that the white button is a reverse lock out so that one cannot engage reverse accidentally. The small black lever is to adjust the idle speed. The manual also says that one can lift the main lever up and control the engine speed without shifting. In order to shift, one must return the handle to the neutral spot and push down to engage the shifter before advancing the throttle and the gear shift together. There is also a friction adjust screw on the side that can be accessed if the screws are removed and the chromed cover lifted up.

This is all from the manual and not from experience. I acquired the boat this past September with a damaged engine and have yet to run it, so no personal experience.

Randy