bolting patern for 1988 88hp johnson

nastyquedawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just curious. Recently, I removed the motor from my boat to replace the steering cable. I noticed when removing the motor that the top bolts were in the 2nd holes from the top instead of the 1st holes on the motor bracket. Does it make a difference and why? Naturally I wanted to use the top holes instead of the second but fugured who ever mounted the motor before had their reasons.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: bolting patern for 1988 88hp johnson

That was most likely done to position the motor at the corrrect height, relative to the transom. I would say that, unless the motor was not at the correct height, you should put it back as it was.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is called set up. the motors are built to be adjustable. every boat hull is a little different, getting the proper height (how much motor is in the water) effects the performance of the boat. if the boat performed correctly go back in the same holes. the lip on the motor is more for convenience, to set the motor on the transom, then adkust it where it needs to be set.

johnhot

Cadet

What are the guidelines for position of the outboard with respect to the transom height?