1974 25 johnson

boykinboater

Cadet
My motor is bogging down and will not run wide open. I have read on hear on things to check, but was curious? It looks like a hose (I believe to be the HOSE, Mfld. to cover) is leaking fluid where it connects on the back. Looks a little dry rotted. would this hose cause a power problem. If I had to describe power problem it sounds like it is not getting enough fuel. Thanks,

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1974 25 johnson

It seems that the hose you are mentioning is the one that enables water to squirt out from the cover so you can see that the cooling system works.
As such it should not have anything to do with your engine performance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i don't believe 74 25 had a tale tell, sounds like the recirc hose from bottom of crankcase to intake manifold, that recircs unburn fuel. if so yes it will effect the the motor. but less start at the beginning.

check compression and spark on both cylinders, i would like to see atleast 110 psi, and with in 10% each other. then check spark, it should jump 1/2 inch. if you don't have these, you have other problems. if all is up to this, then buy a carb kit and rebuild the carb, replace all hoses with alcohol resistant hoses. ethanol degrades the old hoses, and messes up the carb. . your carb has adjustable low speed jet and fixed high speed jet, follow these directions.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

after the carb is cleaned. motor reassembled,

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.
-------------------------

F_R

Supreme Mariner

317120 Hose, manifold to cover, is a drain to route excess puddled fuel to the bypass cover and into the cylinder for burning. In older days, it was just dumped overboard.

It will have slight effect on idle (for better or worse), but none on high speed operation. The main result of a bad hose will be a mess from spilled out fuel. The carb adjustment will also have little or no effect on high speed operation, since it is an idle mixture adjustment.

Otherwise, follow Tash's suggestions...check compression, spark, SPARK PLUGS, etc. Could be a partially clogged high speed orfice plug in the bottom of the carburetor also.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

....and if that hose is dry rotting, and the others are of the same vintage, they are dry rotting as well, or not far behind. As Tash mentioned, If those hoses are original, change them out. If they are not your problem today, they will become one in the near future.

Let us know what you find.

boykinboater

Cadet

It was the carb...had water and trash in it. When I say trash...more than one rubber ring had been 'ethonaled'. I replaced all hoses and rebuilt carb...should be running like a champ on thursday morning. Thanks for the input. FYI...Compression was 148 psi on both heads!!! Thats good right?

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

It was the carb...had water and trash in it. When I say trash...more than one rubber ring had been 'ethonaled'.

I think that is what happened to mine. Finally it died and wouldn't restart. I had to be towed in.