Merc. 1 to Alpha Gen II

D

DJ

Got a freind looking at what appears to be an early seventies Starcraft Cheiftain (similar to Islander) with a 165 MerCruiser (in-line 6).

The price is right $500.00/inc. decent trailer. The hull is good, just needs paint and TLC. I can do that.;)

The boat is missing the transom assembly and drive. The engine and all the parts that mate to the transom assembly are sitting on a pallet. I think a previous owner was looking at a repower. We can rebuild the engine, if need be. I'm a fan of that power in the Islander/Cheiftain.

The question is:

Will a MC Alpha Gen II trans. assembly and drive bolt up to the old 165-six?

We can get either a Gen. I or Gen II trans. assembly and outdrive very reasonably.

Also, I believe we need a 1.50:1 ratio? Is that correct? If not, which one?

This boat is definetely worth redoing and it is exactly what he wants. He's willing to put several grand into it. Still a bargain.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Merc. 1 to Alpha Gen II

Will a Gen II work, probably not.
Exhaust opeing to Y pipe (single pipe for inline), inner transom plate probably different, outdrive shaft length. I see a lot of possible problems with it.
Have never tried it personally, so won't say it's a fact.
You are skipping over the Alpha one drives, going straight from the old One Drives to an Alpha I Gen II. Nothing is the same.
You also need a 1.65 ratio for an inline 6, the 1.50 is for a V8.

D

DJ

We can get Gen I. That's not a problem.

I just thought that going to the most modern would be of benefit. Don't have to.

It sounds like the Gen I is a direct bolt up???

Thanks for the ratio info.

Don S

The R, MR, and Alpha drives are also a lot different from the older 1 drives. Still can't say if it will work, I've never tried it.

D

DJ

The R, MR, and Alpha drives are also a lot different from the older 1 drives. Still can't say if it will work, I've never tried it.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I need to not take any chances and go back to a 1 system. I'm sure there are a few around. We'll look.

Or, we'll look for COMPLETE engine drive packages. Probably 4.3L. I'm sure we can figure out the engine mounts.

I BELIEVE the Volvo SX and DP transom cutouts are the same-RIGHT?

If we go that route, we'd prefer Volvo.

Thanks.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I BELIEVE the Volvo SX and DP transom cutouts are the same-RIGHT?

The SX and DP cutouts are the same but I'm not sure if they are the same as the "old" Mercruiser cutout.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

DJ,.. There Are in fact ways to mount any of the motors mentioned to any of the drives mentioned...

Some of the Issues,+ Some of the workarounds are,...

Going with the Mod.1 of course will be a drop-in,+ Go....

Going to the Alpha 1,... will require changing the complete Transom assembley,..
And using the Alpha 1 Flywheel Cover, Coupler,+ a down-pipe from an Alpha 1 In-line motor...And I'd go with the Newer trim System...
The reasons are,
The Flywheel cover has the rear motor mounts, which are 9" wide on the Alpha 1s,+ later, where the Mod.1s are 15"... Also, with the Mod.1s, the input shaft for the drive is 8"(in-line motors),+ with the Alpha 1s, it's the standard 9" shaft...

Going to the Alpha, Gen.II is pretty much the Same Swap, requiring the Same parts,...
Except,... You'll need to drill 2 more mounting holes thru the transom,+ Probably do a little Tuning to the cut-out with a diegrinder, Maybe...

And,... Depending on the size of the Flywheel on the I-6,.. There Might be fitment issues if it's the 12" Flywheel, trying to mount the Newer Couplers,.. But again, it's Not a roadblock, just a detour...

I yanked the 140hp, Mod.1 from My Islander almost 10 years ago,+ went with the Alpha 1, 4.3LX....
It's been No lookin' back ever since....

And,...
The Best Advice possible is to buy a Donor boat to scrap out....
It'll save you Tons of Ca$h buying all the little bits,+ pieces that you never get with a component swap....

D

DJ

I yanked the 140hp, Mod.1 from My Islander almost 10 years ago,+ went with the Alpha 1, 4.3LX....
It's been No lookin' back ever since....

And,...
The Best Advice possible is to buy a Donor boat to scrap out....
It'll save you Tons of Ca$h buying all the little bits,+ pieces that you never get with a component swap....

Thanks Bond-o, great information. A lot to think about.

I'm with you, swap to a 4.3 LX or a Volvo SX or DP, even better.;) There are used packages out there, if you look hard enough.

Either would be a stellar package in this boat, like yours.

BTW, what did you have to do to the hull to change from the 4 cyl. to a V-engine?

Don S

If you ever found a Volvo 4.3L with DP-S package, (SX Style drive) we never would be able to wipe the smile off your face. ;)

D

DJ

If you ever found a Volvo 4.3L with DP-S package, (SX Style drive) we never would be able to wipe the smile off your face. ;)

I'm thinking the same thing.

A new one can be had for $10K-complete. In my mind, it would be worth it. You can't buy this boat or repalce it for less than $15-$20K (decent). Plus this one can be completely "customized" to suit the new owners needs-exactly.

The best part about this whole deal is that it's NOT my money.:)

Bondo

Staff member

BTW, what did you have to do to the hull to change from the 4 cyl. to a V-engine?

Ayuh,...

I bent up a set of motor mounts out of .090 aluminum,+ Pop riveted them in,...
Jigged up the motor on an alignment bar,+ measured,+ built shim blocks out of p/t plywood,..
Glued up about 3"x4"x8" bolted to the aluminum,+ the motor mounts lagged in from above...

If you go that route,... I'll snap a few pictures for ya...

D

DJ

Thanks. Sounds very doable. If a "package" is what we go for, I'll be in touch.