Head and plate gasket

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1971 55HP Chrysler Model 557HC serial 3188. I recently put on the head and put torque the gasket wrong. I also found out that the plate over the gasket had 2 bolts near the plug to prevent leak from this area. Bolts were broke off and it leaked. I am waiting via express mail to receive new gaskets for head and head plate. I been told to use silicone, Non harding sealer and other things. I also been told to put nothing on the plate gasket. I am not talking about the head gasket. Just the gasket that goes on the plate that goes on the head. So what is it? Do I or do I not put any sealant on this gasket? If so what kind? RTV silicone? (was told this can break off and clog holes where water circutales. Also told to use non-harding atv sealant number 2. I am confused. What do I use or not use?
Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Head and plate gasket

After the replacement parts come, first try it with nothing as it is always easier in the future to remove nothing. If it then still weeps or leaks, try coating both mating surfaces with Permatex non hardening sealer--They make two types, red and black, and I forget which is which. Read the tube--it says non hardening. If the bolts are broken, you will find it necessary to somehow get out the stubs and use new ones. If you find it necessary to drill them out, be careful. Too deep and you will drill into the combustion chamber.

I am not a big fan of Permatex, but sometimes it does have its uses. And if you use the non hardening type, you can spread it with your finger and later it may not destroy the gasket if you again have need to remove the plate.

Silicone RTV will not do as good a job here as Permatex. Don't want to use Permatex? Try gasket shellac or varnish available in a small bottle from Pep Boy's, but it definitely is permanent.