What boat supply's do i need ?

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,
I got this 14ft glasspar, thats got some rub on the bottom from previous owner beaching the boat... it doesn't leak, or take on water, but i wanna get it fixed over winter before i take it out all summer...

Someone i just sold my last fiber boat to, said hes got tons of scrap fiber i can use, i just need the other supply's needed for the job, and i got free shipping on this site cause my order is 100.00+, so if someone could let me know what quantity i would need for a job to fix this, let me know !

Boat:
IMG_5947.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: What boat supply's do i need ?

hi....a true boater......its christmas and hes thinking of his boat !

you dont need much material for that repair....but there are several ways you can approach the repair....and that will make a difference on the type and amount of material you buy........

first of all.....if you want to do an invisible total repair.....you will need matt cloth and resin.....poly or epoxy.....and paint.

but.....there is a different way to do it......just put on a keel gaurd !.....glue that sucker down and done !

if you go poly or epoxy....you will end up painting......

(by the way....the amount of material you need is very small.....so small in fact...you gan buy the materials at your local home depot or lows.....a small package of glass matt and cloth and the resin.....it may even come in a kit!

what kind of repair do you want to do?

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want it to get done, and last, but i don't care what i looks like... I have a few local "Fiber" guys see the pict, and was quoted anywhere from 150-250 some including keel guard some not... I'm no stranger to a sander, and can get free fiber, just need resin/catalist/gelcoat... But i've never done anything of this nature before, and before i spend all this time doing it, want to make sure i do it right...

Again, don't care what it looks like, just function is my main goal, how would you advise on that?

AND OF COURSE I'm thinking about my boat, lol, altho we have 16in of snow, i'm shopping for transom supports / tow roaps / lower unit grease pump's / and can't wait to go build my boat garage LOL... I've always wanted a boat, and hated that alot of people i know have nice boats, but never wanna go, so thats all gonna change !!!

Also, the trailer has brand new wheels/tires, about to have brand new water proof brake lights and wire harness, but i'm thinking about repainting it... As you can see from picture, its got some rust, and lots of faded color... Does it need to be anded down to bare metal then painted, or just painted, if so, what kind of paper is best, and what kind of paint would serve me well.

Much because of the good help i've been able to find here at iboats ! Which is normally , so hard to find !
Thanks again all

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sand it prime it, and finish with rustoleum. remember that is a box frame, the inside is also rusty, not much you can do about that.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Again, don't care what it looks like, just function is my main goal.

keel gaurd.........the scrapes are cosmetic from what i can see from the pics.....so a keel gaurd is quick cheap and totally functional

Recruit

Seaman Apprentice

ok a couple of warnings for you since im re-doing my trailer right now since im waiting for it to warm up to paint my boat. for less then 10 dollars and a little sand paper i made my trailer look pretty good with high gloss rattle can spray paint. i dont really care what it looks like either since its just the trailer but it was this ugly blue and starting to rust so i spent the 10 dollars to make it jet black and shiny! :) also, there is no such thing as waterproof lights. the ones on my trailer were supposed to be but i got leakage through the wire holes and rusted contacts.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

keel gaurd.........the scrapes are cosmetic from what i can see from the pics.....so a keel gaurd is quick cheap and totally functional

Keel guard like painting lots of layers of gelcoat on myself, or keel guard like something like this ?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001343&type=pod&cmCat=cat21278_feat

Yeah, its not that bad, here is another picture.
IMG_6369.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

IMG_6371.jpg

IMG_6373.jpg

IMG_6374.jpg

IMG_6376.jpg

And a 10 dollar trailer fix is all it needs, what kind of sander/paper did you use recruit?, gonna get the motor off in next few days, after i build a motor stand,then get the boat into the shed so i can sand/fix bottom, then build my portable canopy garage, probably sand it and spray it if i get a sunny day !

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yup....a keel gaurd like the one in the link.......

pics 5 and six........the small holes need repair.......id sand that area down....and fill with marine tex.....or make yu some structural peanut butter and fill them...then add a layer of csm and a thin veil of glass.

if you use the marine tex dont worry about the layers of glass......just put on the keel gaurd right over the marine tex

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

So would both options do about the same thing

A) Sanding , fixing holes, putting on a "Keel sheild / guard / ebay special"

B) Sanding , fixing holes, epoxy/fiber/bond/gelcoat/gelcoat/gelcoat ?

A70, thanks for that great link, what brand of off brand did you purchase, yours look great, i would need a large white one, and probably no more then 6 ft of it or so.

What did your's cost ?

Does Marine tex require me to just sand on the surface, or would i somehow try and get some sanding done inside the holes ?

How long do Keel Guards Last ? I take it i sand all the pant off the area it goes, then apply some type of bonding, and slap it on ?

Thanks again !

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you want to pull it up on the beach freqeuntly then go for a Keel guard type product, without one it will only be a matter of time before you need to repair it again.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reading online it says

4ft guard is for 14ft and smaller boats

5 ft 15-16ft boat ect...

I'm thinking of getting the 5ft, mabey 6ft (white to match the boat), on my 14ft glasspar, just to be safe... any negative affects putting one longer then suggested on ? It wouldn't wear off faster or anything ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The only difference is length and there's no problem going with the longer one. Measure the worn area and see if you really need the longer on though.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

option b will work fine for you if you dont beach the yacht.

but as ondarvr said......if you do....its only a matter of time before the repair needs to be done again.

fishrdan

Admiral

The KeelGuards are not supposed to be underneath the bow stop or keel rollers, so keep that in mind when you are selecting the length. I guess rubbing can loosen the 3M self-stick adhesive and and cause them to come off.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Option A it is, seems easier and far better for my use, i'm sure it will see a beach or two, just never know when you wanna go explore a water fall you hear in the distance.

The bow stop is about 2 ft in front of the highest point of damage, so maybe i would go about 1/2 way to that point to prevent it from wearing off too soon... The total damage is about 32in long, and one spot infront of that which is only about 2 inch's long 1 inch wide about 12in infront of the majority of the damage. Im thinking mabey 4 ft is all i need, i'm going to check it all again tomorrow when its not raining AS hard as it is now...

Also, Keel Guard or Keel Shield ? Cabela's sells em both, and that is where my 250.00 gift card is for !!! Thanks CC bonus points !

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would that be enough supplies to put enough layers to make a semi keel guard style thing, or would that be with the gelcoat, which i would still have to buy separate.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There's no substitute for a Keel Guard, if want to beach the boat very often you'll need one no matter how you repair the glass.