No spark on 3 cylinders 95 Johnson Ocean Runner 150

phobophob3

Recruit
First post got deleted because I miss read user name rules and used my email address.

Right now I have no spark on 3 cylinders(one side) of a V6 95 Johnson Ocean Runner 150. I have checked the powerpack, killswitch wires, stator, and main harness.

The no spark started following the engine overheating, from what I've read in other post, the regulator is water cooled, and it is one of the few parts that I have not checked or replaced. Could the regulator cause no spark on 3 cylinders if it got cooked?

I have also been reading about the violet wire and whether or not it is necessary. Since this engine is one of a pair I can compare the two for differences, and the one that is broken, has the violet wire to the regulator disconnected.
If it is not the regulator could the violet wire cause this problem?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: No spark on 3 cylinders 95 Johnson Ocean Runner 150

if you did check the powerpack , find it to be good yet fail to get spark on one side I'd look at the shift assist switch.

You can disconnect the 2 bullet connectors and try spark testing it.
Black and black/yellow or white. On mine they run across the top of the regulator.
The regulator is not in the ignition circuit.

You can also try disconnecting the main red plug to eliminate the external wiring circuits, then spark test.

I have a 94 150hp v6, when one side went dead or very weak it was the powahpak.

phobophob3

Recruit

I have already replaced the powerpack, so I'm fairly sure that is not the problem. I have also already checked the shift assist switch, The 3 cylinders do occasionally start working, which leads me to believe it is a faulty ground, but I cannot find it for anything.

jonesg

Admiral

I have already replaced the powerpack, so I'm fairly sure that is not the problem. I have also already checked the shift assist switch, The 3 cylinders do occasionally start working, which leads me to believe it is a faulty ground, but I cannot find it for anything.

It looks to be a problem under the flywheel.
Check the charge coil output, you don't need piercing probes, just stick a probe down the rear of the plug where the wire goes in.
This test requires peak meter.

http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html

either way I think you'll need to get a gander at the stator charge coil.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Did you check the overheat sensor? When the motor overheats, the sensor kills spark to 3 cylinders.

phobophob3

Recruit

I have checked the overheat sensor, and that is not it. I'm thinking I might need to bring it to a marine mechanic.