Fuel Overflow...

Speakrdude

Ensign
On my 94 Johnson Fastrike 150, my #3carb. has fuel "pouring" out of its overflow hole on the bowl. I have dissasembled and reassembled 3 times today hoping I would see something I may have over looked. The needle valve seems to be fine, I checked the float for boyancy and or leaks, all seems fine. I even tested the fuel inlet with a hose with the needle valve opened and closed to make sure the valve was operating. But, when I fire her up, fuel pours out of that hole.

Any ideasbefore I order all 6 carb kits and rebuild? Is there a fuel pressure regultor I should look into?

Thanks,
Jim

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Overflow...

If the float needle valve is indeed seating properly, either the float is set wrong or the air passage to the float chamber is clogged with something.

Hold the carburetor upside down and attempt to blow into the fuel intake fitting. If you can blow into the carburetor, the needle valve is not seating.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Yeah I tried that a few times as well. float appears to be level. Valve seems to shut off. But yet yet fuel just dribbles, not drips, dribbles right past while running.

Speakrdude

Ensign

I wonder if anyonne has ever had a hole develop in the bowl leading to the overflow passage?

Speakrdude

Ensign

Ok, I may have figured this one out, maybe.....
I did a little more research today. (bored, cold and rainy) I went to the storage building and removed the carb to bring back to my shop.

Here's what I have found;

The passage that I thought was an overflow hole on the lower-side of the bowl must be something else. I removed the bowl, held upright and poured water in simulated gas. Sure enuff, poured right out of the overflow hole.

I did, a while back, fine a small "BB" laying in the bottom of the cowell. I am now suspecting that it was a shot for that hole. Without it, fuel within the bowl will find its way past the high speed orifice and straight out the side of the bowl. However, my shop manual nor any diagram I have found on the web discusses.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in Advance,
Jim

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

i think i have understood your prob,...i know its bugging u as i have seen your question on 3 sites,..here is my thoughts,...now.....that bb area,is a known problem area,it leaks..it was a drill access hole,that they plugged w the bb....i would love to have a chat w/the engineer,...anway,a factory rep, suggested 2 ways to fix it.....

1.NEW BOWL--OF COURSE,. so in a yr it leaks again..........

2.w/carb clean/clear on the bench,no fuel residual,...take a small soldering iron and a blk plastic tie wrap,melt the end over the bb,carefully,being certain u r melting it into..the carb,smooth it off....looks ok,...and STOPS the leak.........

Speakrdude

Ensign

Thanks. I really appreciate your help. I'm surprised this not not discussed in the shop manuals. If I push it in there, will it stop where it's supposed too? Don't want to block that jet.

Hopefully, I can find that BB. I'm sure I put it somewhere.

Thanks again,

Jim