Water coming from spark plug

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1971 55HP Chrysler. When I first got this motor it did not run. The head where the top plug goes in was stripped. I had it rethreaded. I put on a new head gasket and the gasket to the plate that goes over the head. When I did this I knew nothing about torching or sequence in tightenning the head bolts. So I just put it on and tighened them. Later on I realized they had to be torqued. Which I did. Now water is leaking from the top spark plug when I start it. Do I need a new head gasket or do I need the gasket that goes on top of the head under the plate? I saw no water in the cylinder.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water coming from spark plug

I think you will find that water is actually coming out between the flat cover plate and the sparkplug. Some heads had a gasket under this plate and some did not. There should also be two 1/4 X20 bolts next to the sparkplugs to secure the center of the plate. They need to be torqued to 70 inch pounds. They help to seal the area around the plugs.

At this point, I would say remove the head and plate, and lap them together with Ajax or other sink abrasive made into a paste with oil, clean, then use permatex on the plate gasket (both sides) and re-install the cover plate.

As for your thump in neutral, I need to think about that a bit.

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for the thump in neutral. when I put it in forward it made no such thump. It was fine. I know I did need to adjust cause it would not go into reverse. I will do that tomorrow, or at least try. Any suggestion on adjusting the arm? Mine does have the plate on top of the head, but no 2 bolts next to the plug. It has the standard bolts on and around the edge of the plate.

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI Frank
As always you know your chit. I removed the plate and the head. I noticed 2 nubs coming from near the plugs. Yep boken bolts. I put the head in the shop and just picked it up and had them removed. The shop removed old broken bolts and rethread it 1/4 X 20. This should fix the problem. Franz Express mailed me the new head, Plate and thermo gaskets yesterday. Hoping it gets here today. If so I will install and let you know results. But I am sure this will fix.
Again Thank You
PS just to be sure, the head torque is 270 inch pounds and the 2 plug bolts is 70 inch pounds. Do I need any sealant on the plate gasket. Been told so many different things to put and not put.

noah4009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Permatex and the new bolts, being the old ones were broke off and I never noticed it needed bolts near plugs, It is just fine. No leaks from plugs. Thanks