what gps to buy

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade
im looking for a handheld.

does anyone have a good idea of a gps that you dont have to buy $100-$150 worth of maps that may or may not have my lakes?

which are the best ones?

are the ones with maps very accurate or should i just buy one that has a compass and lat/long?

thanks for any and all input.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what gps to buy

I'm a big fan of the basic Garmin eTrex (yellow case) ever since it was introduced. IMO it's got all the features needed as long as you don't need mapping. I've had mine for over 5 years and use it almost every weekend. It's been dropped, dunked and abused and continues to works great.

As far as the mapping handhelds, I've found them tough to read because the screen's so small. But that's just me.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76 and a Lowrance IFinder H2O C both handhelds with small screens less than 3 inches. Both have the insland lakes I fish and play at. The maps are not detailed maps and do not have water depths or conture lines. Water depth in my case would be useless since lake levels change by over 100 feet from summer to winter.

Only way to be sure if it has a map of your lakes is go to a store or boat show that has the units your interested in and see if your lake is there and in what detail. In my case the base map has been plenty good for me. The Lowrance base map is much better than the Garmin. Both have many types of upgraded maps. Lowrance maps are much like a Marine chart. Garmin has that as well as ones that are like a picture of the lake.

Between my two units I like the Lowrance Ifinder H2O C much better. It screen is a little bigger and much brighter. It also is much faster to redraw maps which is very important if you run in track up mode. Also the Lowrance is more sensitive and has more routes.

If You going to get a fixed mount unit get the biggest screen you can afford unless your 18 with perfect eyesite.

All the units that I have see will have a compass anytime your moving. Some units also have and electronic compass that will work even if your stopped. In my case I never use the compass on the unit. If I need a compass I use the one on the boat. GPS units will have a steering indicator to indicate which way to steer to get to the waypoint you want to go to. Also you can just look at your postion on the map and steer to where you want to go.

One thing Lowrance has is emulator you can down load to your PC for free and run the units on your PC useing your mouse to hit the same buttons you would if you were out on the water. Most you have to set your screen resoultion to 1024 by 768 or higher for the larger screen units.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Product-Emulators/

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Mapping/Enhanced-Lake-Maps/

Some of the maps can be downloaded for free also.

The only way to know for sure if the units has any details of your lake is to go look at the units. Zoom in close to the area your interested in and see if it has the aid to navigation and details you need.

Last point if you do not have a depthfinder before you buy You should decide if you want a GPS / Fishfinder combo unit or two seperate units.

Good Luck and take your time picking a unit. IF you take GOOD CARE of your unit should last at least 20 years but they are constatly changing and getting better.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

You can get the Garmin Colorado series for pretty cheap because they came out with a new model. I got the 400c(coastal) for 299.99. Im not going to dispay where I got it but pm me if your interested and ill let you know.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the help guys.

i wanted a h2oc but the sales guy said they were discontinued and they didnt have any mor.

so then i was going to buy a ifinder expedition---he couldnt find the box and he claimed it was going out also.

he tried to sell me a ifinder hunt----but i dont hunt and im not paying $50 extra for camoflauge .

so i got the h2o with no color.......i wanted one with color but couldnt wait so i got the one without.