2000 55hp Idle Adjustment

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello. I went out last weekend fishing and I'm finally tired of my engine stalling on me at low speeds. It's done this ever since I got it 3 years ago. It runs great as long as I give it gas, but if I let it idle (in gear or not) it will die after a few moments. It's a 2000 55hp commercial, manual everything, tiller, and has an adjustment knob on the handle itself, but I've played with that before and it only seems to be not enough or too much. If I give it more it seems to idle way too high and if I back it off just a hair it isn't enough, and dies.
I am still in the process of rebuilding another motor, and noticed the idle screw on the carbs, and was wondering if I should be messing with those instead of the tiller handle adjustment. I am sure I will hear to rebuild the carbs, but I'm not sure they are to blame for this. It's done this since I got it, and I literally watched the shop rebuild the carbs before I got the engine. It came with different carbs on it, but I had a weird surging problem with it right away and took it back. They pulled the carbs and rebuilt them while I waited, since it had only been 2-3 days since I had bought it from them.
I had a Seloc for this motor, but I know they are crap and sold it, so now I have nothing to go by. I've been meaning to get a real manual for it, but I can only find one for $55, and money's tight right now and I'm trying to avoid spending the money (also why I haven't finished rebuilding the 60hp I was working on).
If I could get a couple of opinions I'd appreciate it. I've heard screw that needle all the way in, then back it out 1.5 turns, and go from there. I'd just rather get some opinions on this and verify that info before I start messing with it and possibly make something worse.
I'm hoping to take it out again this weekend, so I'll give anything a shot while I'm out there and see how it goes.
Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 55hp Idle Adjustment

What is your current idle RPM under load in gear?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 55hp Idle Adjustment

I honestly have no idea. The motor is manual everything, no gauges, alarms, remote steer, starter, nothing. Pull start, tiller, manual shift, manual tilt, long shaft.