2006 Johnson 9.9 HP

mcgoldd

Recruit
I have a 2006 Johnson 9.9 HP that came with a rowboat I just purchased. When I would use it and when it would warm up, it would stall at low idol. It also would seem to run a little rough. Full speed I had some vibration.

I took it and had it serviced. They fixed the stalling problem but it then wouldn't start when cold. So they worked the motor alittle more and found an adjustment in between. When the Engine is very cold it's still hard to start. It's also running alittle rough. One last thing is when I remove the lower unit from the water bucket it has exhaust (some type black) all stuck to the bottom.

Do you have any ideas as to what this problem could be. About the motor running a little rough, the marina said that's normal for this Johnson motor. Or is it? The motor could of sat a year or 2 before I purchased it. Also the plugs were gaped and replaced.

Any help would be very grateful!

ajohnson035

Cadet
Re: 2006 Johnson 9.9 HP

Sounds like your motor is running rich and what is happening is the rich fuel mixture is actually cleaning out your exhaust pipe. I would start with a carb rebuild kit just see what it actually looks like inside the bowl area. Make sure you soak the carb in carb cleaner and blow it out before you reinstall with new parts.

mcgoldd

Recruit

Thank you ajohnson035. When I sent it out for repair they said they were going to do that but ended up just cleaning it out. I will look into doing this.

mcgoldd

Recruit

Hello tashasdaddy. When I try to strat I connect the kill switch clip, fuel line, primed ball, pulled choke and pulled....... after afew pulls I turn off the choke and kept trying. Then choke and pull. When the weather is about 60 It may take a few mins. When the weather is about 40-50 it takes about 10 mins of constant pulling. Once its running it seems to have some vibration. It softens (but is still there) as it warms.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Have we established if this is a 4 stroke? I think the 4 strokes can be a little rough.