Disconnect the rope...

Bubba1235

No longer on Forums
So I am at the local boat ramp this past fall when an older gental man and his daughter pull up in a brand new shiny boat. We chat a minute and then its his turn to launch.

He backed into the water fine and floated his boat with plenty of slack in the trailer winch line. He gets out of the truck and gets in boat and fires engine to let it warm up. In the mean time his daughter gets in the truck, starts it and of course turns the radio and ac on.

After a few minutes he motions the daughter to pull the tralier up the ramp and park it. She puts truck in gear and rear wheel spins a little so she tromps the gas. She shoots up the ramp, not looking at dad and he is screaming at the top of his lungs to stop.

Why stop? He didn't unhook the winch line and she dragged his brand new boat about half way up the ramp before figuring out something was amiss. (all sots of people yelling at her by this time.) Tore the living crap out of the boats hull. Yeah, his language turned the air blue... :(

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Disconnect the rope...

Is ramp rash kinda like road rash? poor boat.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This reminds me of a good ol' Unregistered Family Christmas story. For several years my brother, my dad and I all met in Hollister MO for a Christmas fishing trip. This particular year my father just had a brand new boat cover made for his Champion bass boat. Him driving a pickup with no shell, they would load all their gear and baggage into the boat under the cover.

When they got there, he , (my father) pulled the cover off about 1/2 way to unload their stuff. No one thought of putting the tie down straps in the boat before he, (my father) moved the truck and boat to the combo parking spots on the other side of the lot.

This tore the heck out of the new cover. There was lots of yelling at this event too.

I don't make those Christmas fishing trips to Hollister any more.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems screw ups and yelling can't be separated...
I hear ya, I could only imagine what it would have been like if my brother and father were the actors in your event. :eek:

I'm glad to hear that the surrounding people offered to help in their situation. It seems the helpful hand is no longer the normal.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

That had to be an ugly sight for sure.

When I launch by myself (which is rare), I hook a rope to the bow eye then run it to the winch post of the trailer. Once the boat is off the trailer I ease up the ramp just a little to pull the boat back towards the shore. This has worked for me flawlessly so far. I hope I never forget to unhook and continue up the ramp :eek:.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

now thats gotta hurt.

you said it was taking on water. it drug a hole in it?:eek:

fishrdan

Admiral

Yeouch, that's gotta hurt!

I remember when I was all of 8-9 years old my dad was launching his boat on a very steep ramp. Being helpful and watching my dad unhook the winch line many times, before launching,,, I decided to lend a hand and unhook the winch line. Needless to say the boat only made it 1/2 way down the ramp before it launched itself. Luckily,,, the outboard stopped it from coming all the way off the trailer :rolleyes:

Foul language spewed forth and questions as to why I would unhook the winch line. Well dad, isn't that the way it's done? :D

(I'm just waiting for my kids to give me some pay-backs for all the things I did)

Nandy

Commander

If the dad would have taken the time to "train" the young one that might have been avoided. So I dont put it all on the girl.
My significant other has been trained in how to help while boating, she is good backing that trailer and listens to me since I am the one with the most experience in the boating scene. She's gotten really good and have now learn when to just get out of my way when I get frustrated, that last one is worth a million bucks!!

Shizzy

Ensign

I agree, my old man taught me the rule is radio off, all doors unlocked and both windows down and the trailer doesn't move an inch If I cant see him in one of my mirrors when backing or moving a trailer of any kind.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I broke down on Lake Champlain and got the boat to the public ramp...... I had to get a ride to retreive my truck/trailer at the other end of the lake..... and left the wife with the boat. I had always told her about the entertainment value of a boat ramp..... during her two hour wait for me ..... she got to see everything.

She is great when it comes to launching and is always amazed that I do not yell however I check everything 3 and 4 times to prevent problems.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Shizzy, Too true. I always try to roll down my windows and no radio and watch all around before backing down the ram as you don't know what might run behind you trailer. and I also use the hand brake/parking brake when on the ramp launching the boat. You can't be too safe or too cautious. Accident cause $$ and sometimes lives.

HVSTRINE

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ever had to wait to get out when you have a newbie trying to get on his trailer in a strong cross wind? Sigh...

Just be patient and enjoy the show! Just like everybody had to do when you were the newbie.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

do not try to teach at the ramp. go to an empty parking lot, so there is nothing to hit. first let the new driver drive forward and feel the trailer and load. then let them back up, buy placing the hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, they move the hand the direction they want the trailer to go. just like the top of the wheel when going forward, go to reverse, reverse the hand.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

We must be lucky, most of the smaller lakes here it's rare to see a boat take longer then a few minutes to load/launch. WE get the odd special case, like the guy that made no less then 15 attempts to back down the ramp without hitting anything...but not that often. My last load was pretty embarrassing, I was alone, and very tired from a long day in very high swells and winds (fishing :rolleyes:). I misjudged and wacked into the dock good and hard. I knew I was done for, moved off to the far end of the dock, had a bottle of water, a nap, then went back to loading my boat. It's amazing how fatigue can get to you...

Ian

BIGcarpy50

Petty Officer 1st Class

Couldn't really tell where but it was taking on water. Honestly, there had to be 20 lbs of FG on the ramp.

Thats why i love alum boats......even if that happened it would still float