Aluminum boat leaks

youngun1916

Recruit
Hi guys, I have an old aluminum boat with some cracks in the bottom from dragging over and hitting rocks. Have any of you ever used JB marine epoxy to repair?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Aluminum boat leaks

Ayuh,... It Works,..... Sometimes..... Got any Pictures,..??

There's Many Degrees of Damage,.....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have used it with great success in accessible areas. pictures would help.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Consider that option, and a coat of Gluvit inside when that's done.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

My buddy uses a small jon for hunting and drags it with the same result.

I took it into work and welded the cracks then welded on some thick aluminum angle on the spots that rub, you should be able to have the same thing done to yours.

I am a JB junky so I wouldn't have a problem with that either, just make the repair alot wirer than the crack and kinda thick.

If you can find some you may even JB some angle on it.

martinrab

Cadet

Aluminium is easy to work but not that easy to weld. Best bet if you continue to use the boat that way weld some thicker aluminium plates on the spots where you hit it most. Have the hull a bit thicker and you will be good for a long time. Patchwork is always more expensive in the end as you have to do it over and over again. :D

I know from my old boat. A 14m aluminium sail boat. We patched some stuff after we hit a big chunk of wood and the patchwork had to be redone after only 3 months. Better to weld in the first place and have it done forever.

youngun1916

Recruit

Thanks, sounds like the same problem. The crack is at the end of a piece of angle welded earlier. The problem with welding aluminum is it is always thinner at the edge of the weld.

martinrab

Cadet

Indeed.That's what I meant. If you make parches you will always have problems again. So what I meant to say is to take a big chunk and protect the whole bottom part where you hit most. Don't know how big your boat is but normally it is worth the hassle. It is easy to work it into a certain form as you have a formed hull already and then weld the edges which have to be in not strained areas.

:D