1968 Mercruiser 120 outdrive damage

mpplumber

Recruit
Long story short. Bought the boat in 1992, Its a 1968 Glasstron mint condition. Than sold it to my grandpa who used it until this year. I bought it back. The first run up the river I destroyed the whole outdrive. (not repairable) I'm told this outdrive was only made from 1967-1969? and nothing else will bolt up. I know I need something with reverse lock and a gear ratio of 1-1.98. I've been searching for 3 months now and still nothing. Is there anything else that will work. The boat is to nice to trash.
Thank You.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: 1968 Mercruiser 120 outdrive damage

You may want to do more research, but I believe any pre-alpha will fit... as long as you get the right gear ratio.
Reverse lock on those engines/drives was a seperate valve body mounted on the inner transom plate. It has nothing to do with the drive itself.

chiefalen

Captain

What else was damaged ?

The gimbal ring ?

Look close with a magnifying glass at everything for a small crack i mean close.

Pay real close attention to any pivot point, cause thats where it is the weakest.

Also that old a boat, the hit, may have moved it, the whole drive on the transom, you may not have known it but there could be transom rot, and i would be surprised if there isn't any.

Post the result of the inspection of the gimbal ring.

chiefalen

Captain

Hey you can bolt anything to the rear. All you would need to do is pull the motor, pull out the inner transom plate, and than new inner plate, and whatever complete setup on the back you want, gen 2, gen 1, pre alpha.

How mush money you got ? And make sure the coupler is compatible with the drive.

Make sure you use a alignment bar, and check the transom. For rot.

And the mounting points for the motor, if they dropped.

Bondo

Staff member

and nothing else will bolt up.
The boat is to nice to trash.

Ayuh,.....

I'm Guessing this might be 1 of the Old Model "0"s.....
They are pretty much as rare as Hen's Teeth nowadays....

If this Hull is Too nice to Trash,....
You Best Option,..
Is to buy either a complete Alpha 1 transom assembley,+ outdrive,....
Or,..
A complete Alpha 1, Gen.II transom assembley,+ outdrive....

I'd go with a Used transom assembley,+ trim combination,... Figure $250. to $750.,... depending on your market,+ connections....
Either of the 2 outdrives can be had Brand New for $1400. or Less,...
Right here at iboats.com.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

By my information you have an MC-1 drive (one drive) not a "0" drive. The 0 drives were only used on Renault.
The reverse lock is not in the drive anyway, but inside the boat hooked up to the trim system.

chiefalen

Captain

One last option, buy a donor boat with a bad motor but good drive, gen 1 or 2 and transfer everything back of the engine to your hull, cheapest way to go.

Inside transom plate, back, to be clear.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

If DonS is right, then I believe the new aftermarket drives from Sterndrive Engineering (sold here on Iboats) will bolt right up. Here is a pic of the assembly on my dad's boat - an old SeaRay. It is the old style with the limit switch there at the top of the "helmet." We bought a new outdrive from Sterndrive Engineering and it bolted right up.

DSCF5313.jpg

mpplumber

Recruit

All you guys ROCK. Thank you for all the info. It will be a little while before I can inspect for cracks. Boats in storage and its only 10 below zero in the barn. I will post the results of the inspection ASAP.
Thank Again
Rick