Stuck armature plate? 1970 Rude 40HP Big Twin

New_Era

Cadet
Trying to sync ignition/carb on above. OEM manual has picture of how the 2 marks on throttle cam should line up with projection on intake manifold. With remote throttle pulled all the way back (butterfly closed) the marks on the cam still need to turn 1 and 1/2 inches clockwise to line up with the projection. I can't move the armature plate by hand at all. I have never attempted a sync before and don't want to break anything. Should I be able to rotate the armature plate? If so, how?

By the way, the motor starts and idles fine, even in gear but with any acceleration at all it dies. I am thinking the sync, or lack thereof is part of the problem.

Thanks.

New_Era

Cadet
Re: Stuck armature plate? 1970 Rude 40HP Big Twin

Thanks Tashasdaddy. I appreciate your help to me and others. I agree that the carburetor needs a rebuild and I plan to do that. Motor has set up for a few years. However, it appears the linc/sync markings right now are way out of line from where they should be with the throttle in neutral position (butterfly valve closed).

The directions in the service manual says "Advance throttle control until mark on throttle control cam is in line with projection on intake manifold."

I am not able to even come close to this using the throttle remote control. So when I remove the throttle remote control should this free up the cam. Should the cam move freely or are there some bolts I need to loosen for it to move? Should the whole armature plate (spark plug wires, etc) move or just the cam?

Thanks again for your patience.

Ron

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I believe it would be a help if you cleaned and lubed your linkage. The grease around the armeture plate is typical for getting hard and sticky to turn. I often pull, the flywheel on motors, just to clean up the area, the armeture plate mounts. Also, where the rods, for the throttle linkages go, you'll see plastic bushings into the frame of the motor. In the holes where these plastic bushings go, the metal can corrode and shrink up the hole. This, in turn will squeeze the plastic bushing hard around the throttle rod and make it turn stiff. Motors that sit a lot, will often have these issues. I hope this helps. Good Luck:cool:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Definitely clean up the armature plate and lube it. With control cables removed you should be able to make it move freely/easily with the throttle handle. There is always a bit of slop in the throttle linkage unless it's brand new, you just need to be in the Start ballpark. With the throttle at Start, the mark on the armature plate should line up with the mark on the intake and the roller that contacts the armature plate should be just making contact with the armature plate. Shine a flashlight into the carb throat, look in there to the back butterfly...should be just slightly open at that point. It should open fully as you advance the throttle to Fast. If the previous owner fiddled with the link-n-synch it could be out of whack. On older OMC's you loosen screws under the armature plate to adjust it in or out to contact the roller/linkage that pushes the carb butterfly open. Might be the same with your 70 model...others here will know for sure. Get it clean, lubed and turning freely before you attemtp to do the synch.