Is this too much Prop for this Boat?

gvarney13

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 1984 150 Mariner, with a 8" Jack Plate, with a 25 pitch SS Prop on a 17.5' bass boat. Is this too much?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this too much Prop for this Boat?

A lot depends on what boat you have and what gearcase (gear ratio). My initial gut reaction is - probably. If you've run the prop what is the top rpm?

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

what was the previous prop on the boat and what rpms where you running and then we should be able to help.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Like already mentioned, it is very hard to prop a boat properly without knowing RPMs.

gvarney13

Seaman Apprentice

I just purchased the boat last week and have only taken it out one time. When I had it out on the water it had a slow response out of the hole. Which is probably engine issues. (A whole other thread) It was running WOT at 5100 RPM's.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

At only 5100 rpm the holeshot should be less than desireable.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Does seem like a lot of prop but until your sure the motor is at full power I wouldn't make any prop changes.Difficult to determine what change is needed
without knowing motor is at full power.Also the motor setup ca affect performance if you have no venting issues you could probably be able to raise the motor a little.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you make a prop decision based on a poor running engine you will have the wrong prop when the engine problem is corrected. You must get the engine running right, go through the set up tests of adjusting the engine up and down to get best performance, and making sure the hull is clean and loaded as you will eventuly use the boat. Then run the wide open throttle test to get rpm and speed numbers for a worth while prop recommendation. If other stuff is not right you will buy a prop and it will be a wasted investment.