gas question

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Morning Gents & Merry Christmas to you & your families..

Will gas prices remain low for the upcoming season?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: gas question

The million dollar question.....:D

We can only guess at this point.
Opec is cutting production again but the slow economy will help hold prices down some....
I bet it will be well over 2 bucks a gallon by spring but who knows...:rolleyes:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, gas prices will continue to fall for the next ten years, in fact within two years the price will drop to where they'll pay you to fill your tank just so they can get rid of it.

Sorry I couldn't resist, there's no way to say it won't triple in price by next week, all that's need is some unpredictable international event to disrupt production.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Under our new president we will have free gas, free electricity, free heat, free health insurance, everyone will get a new boat and new electric car with a 10,000# tow rating to tow it with, everyone will have their mortgage forgiven, nobody will need to work and those who can't get along in the world will love each other. Oh yes -- I almost forgot, global warming will be solved so it will be -30F degrees instead of the -15F I saw on our thermometer this morning. Anybody have Al Gore's phone number? We need to chat!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gasoline usage is down 2.7% from last year at this time. Prices for oil are down 25-40%, and OPEC is trying to cut production. If OPEC is successful (no cheaters), I would expect oil to rise in the coming months. If OPEC is smart (and I think they are), they will adjust oil prices to the painpoint for the world. Higher oil prices will cause the US to look for alternates, and that is bad for the long-term oil business. Oil prices just below the pain point will slow down or stop alternative energy in the US, IMHO.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dave, when you have a positive answer, please let us know.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

OPEC announces a 2.5 million barrel a day cut in production last week. Two days later Crude prices FELL to below $40.00 a barrel for the first time in 4 1/2 years. BTW the price is down over a hundred dollars a barrel from its high of $147.00+ this passed summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO :D,

I have never thought that production had much to do with TODAYS price of gas, other than without production we wouldn't have any gas at all.

Having said that' and realizing that fuel cost is perpendicular to production, I still believe that todays prices are mainly the result of an economy that doesn't quite have the strength to support the sales as wanted (At the high price,) and that the companies are only curtailing major profiting at the moment, only to increase cost again and carry on as usual when the opportunity arises to exploit the consumer some more.

If you consider that a few major oil companies have had capital gains of billions of dollars yearly, and the fact that some have spent enormous amounts of their surplus revenue to buy back company stocks and built more ways to harvest, it isn't a big step from there to think that they now can reasonably afford to lower prices with the idea that we won't think anything of it, knowing the economy is bust.
I believe the prices could stay low as long as is needed to promote spending and in turn get the economy to kickstart itself back to a workable standard.

My own feeling on that, considering the present situation, is that the prices will most likely stay low for a few months until things settle out and a reasonable estimate can be deducted as to economy strength and in turn a better fuel market.
Prices will want to go right back where they were after that, because we were already conditioned to accept that fate, and the proof was that we were not really curtailing our own spending a whole lot, even though the prices were high.

Just my two cents worth,
PH.

mphy98

Lieutenant

as stated before opec cut production by 2mill barrels, and it still went down. read an article that if you could store crude right now you would become a billionare, there are a hundred supertankers full of crude in the gulf with nowhere to go. never was a shortage, just greed. so for the next year or so i personally believe that prices will be just below 2.00 a gall for gas. so confidant that when gas was 4.00 a gall i went out and bought a 35' motorhome. bought it real cheap. 21k miles on it 2 slide outs. corian counter tops every other option for 23000.00 and its a 99 only 10 years old. the original bill of sale was 140,000.00 and they are still selling cheap. this makes for a great home base to fish with!!

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

now we're getting somewhere! i also believe that "greed" (remember the quarterly profits) coupled w/ a poor economy = low prices for now anyway. thanks for all the input..dk

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

"Will gas prices stay low?". I doubt it, they are just trying to butter us up :(, I think we'll be in for a big let down. Hard to believe it was lowered for the holiday season though.