18 hp fastwin "shorting switch"

kaashlock

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1968 18 hp model 18820 Fastwin. It has a hole in the front lower portion of the cowl. Information I find says this is a shorting switch. Is this just a kill switch? If so, does it need to be there. Mine is gone.
Kenny

mchin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 18 hp fastwin "shorting switch"

I've had several of these, but not this particular year, On mine, the hole was in the belly pan part of the cowl, was about 1.5 inches or so, and had a push button kill switch. Which was often disconnected, and as long as the wires coming out from under the mag plate was not grounding out, the engine ran fine. I ended up on one of them, adding a modern kill switch with a tether. much safer in my opinion. So ya don't need one, but the 18's are fast motors and you'll be safer if you put one in and use it.

kaashlock

Seaman Apprentice

Never thought of that!! Really great idea for safety.
Thanks,
Kenny

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

michin, where did you get the tether kill switch? im looking for one for the motor on my zodiac, afraid ill end up bouncing out of the boat one of these days...

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

been looking there, but dont know which one, as there are a few universal styles. dont want to get the wrong one...