boat title and registration

onebighead

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am considering buying a boat in Texax from a private individual. After that I plan to pull it to Oklahoma and request an Oklahoma title and registration. Do I owe the state of Texas anything? Oklahoma will collect excise tax for sure, but does TX get involved? any info appreciated.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: boat title and registration

Just be sure to get titles for the boat and the outboard and registration for the trailer.

OK will collect any sales tax due.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

Think of it as a "Title Tax". You pay the excise tax when and to the state in which the boat will be titled. It is not a sales tax, which would be paid to the state in which the sale is transacted.
MD use to call it a "Title Tax" they now use the less descriptive term excise tax.

mphy98

Lieutenant

nothing owed to texas at all. all money will be collected by your state you register it in

JB25VIP

Seaman

just a tip, I would make sure and get a DETAILED bill of sale including all info about the boat, motor, trailer, etc. Here in texas, that is how you have to prove how much you paid for it when transferring the title. not sure what they need in arkansas. However, with a signed bill of sale by both parties, its just extra "insurance" for you. At least thats what ive run into here in texas every time i have bought a boat.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

In MD if you paid less than the bluebook value you need a notarized bill off sale or you will pay 5% of what the book say it is worth

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

With a Texas boat, make sure you have the boat and outboard titles in hand along with the already mentioned detailed bill of sale. Lots of old, unwanted, untitled boats/motors sitting around in Tejas...what a PITA to find and transfer the titles from owner to owner within the Lone Star state. Check OK regs to see what you need in that regard, transferring titles from out of state to OK. Trailer can be "home-built" and still registered in Tejas, but no formal titles necessary beyond a bill of sale.