A hunting/boating pic or two?

jbjennings

Captain
Anyone have any good hunting pics of some big bucks or ducks? The weather is cold here and we're getting a FEW ducks.. I know most of you guys are out of luck due to the cold but I'm lucky enough to enjoy my old outboards the most at this time of year. I love johnson and evinrude outboards because they were such good examples of American craftsmanship and I also love the gun on the left of this pic for the same reason. If you don't know what it is then you don't hunt much!;) I also love Remington model 11's and Browning auto-5's. I like to use the gun on the left in the pic for the farther shots because it shoots so hard. The Browning on the right is a good gun and one of my favorites but has an aluminum receiver which I don't like and not nearly as high quality as they were 40 years ago.

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: A hunting/boating pic or two?

yeah.......any of you lower 48 guys have warm pics........post'em for your freezin snow covered buddies :D

aspeck

Staff member

Supposed to be 5 degrees (F) tomorrow morn with a wind chill of about -25 degrees (F). Gonna get the Christmas goose, I hope. Should be good weather with the cold and wind and blowing snow they should be holding tight and we should be able to drift in pretty easily. At least that is the plan!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Supposed to be 5 degrees (F) tomorrow morn with a wind chill of about -25 degrees (F). Gonna get the Christmas goose, I hope. Should be good weather with the cold and wind and blowing snow they should be holding tight and we should be able to drift in pretty easily. At least that is the plan!

Shoot the goose...... it will be frozen before you get home! :eek: Good luck.

puddle jumper

Captain

I have only done it once and never again. Pluck a wild goose by hand. Jeeess i even had down feathers up my nose and the yard looked as if it snowed.:eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i learned this as a kid, on a friends farm. they are like chickens, big pot of boiling water, dunk them for a 30 seconds to a minute, the pores open and the feathers come out real easy.

Attachments

• 5day.jpg
    5day.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

mthieme

Captain

Shoot the goose...... it will be frozen before you get home! :eek: Good luck.

LOL
True story....
when I was a lad, one of mom's friends brought her a goose. Wild game was not an unusual menu item growing up. For whatever reason, she stuck it in the freezer without cleaning it. When she got several months later, it had not (completely) frozen like all the other rock hard items in the freezer. Go figure.

naree

Banned

hi mthieme !
interesting and useful site !
EDIT: link violation of guidelines.

mthieme

Captain

naree...
welcome aboard.
I learn something here everyday, and not necessarily about boats/boating.
We have someone from darn near every profession hanging out.

cranksbait

Seaman Apprentice

Not an exciting picture. But it is my first duck. Got it Last week. Hoping to get out some more. The St. Lawrence is freezing up faster than normal. But the guy who introduced me to duck hunting says the good times are about to happen.

Theirs only a few of us fools that will venture out onto the river this time of year. All I can say "It's AWSOME!!!"

5arfyh.jpg

chiefalen

Captain

346786191_1191113083_0-1.jpeg

346783628_1191103373_0.jpg

346776298_1191075447_0-1.jpeg

First time i ever uploaded pics, i'm the one with hood on, my deer , and my best friend on my boat at different times.

I see there is a learning curve how to post pics.

chiefalen

Captain

mmi-1.jpeg

My son the fishing machine. Tried to insert it in the post before couldn't figure out how to do it.

aspeck

Staff member

Too cold to take pics today, and people in our favorite spot. 20 MPH winds with gusts up to 40 MPH! It was COLD! Too much spray from the whitecaps ... guns froze up! 3 of us shot 1/2 a box of shells, brought one goose home. Too cold for the camera!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

20 MPH winds with gusts up to 40 MPH! It was COLD!

I heard a big crash last night, scared the heck out of me. I immediately stepped out expecting to see a tree fallen on the home but seen nothing. Winds were pretty gusty here also, temperature dropped big time. So I'm wondering what it was that fell, I stepped back out on the back deck to find 3 stacked cases of 2 liter bottled water had fallen over (8 bottles per crate). Just one of those things we haven't managed to get up to the storage building out back, now we have a mess, and haven't noticed how many bottles were busted open.

aspeck

Staff member

Yep, too cold and windy to be running up and down the lake on the boat hunting for the geese ...

chiefalen

Captain

It's thrilling to get your first duck i remember my first.

Congrats.

jbjennings

Captain

I loved the first duck pic! The fishing pics were neat, too. I am eagerly awaiting those goose hunt pics....
Here's one from this morning in the duck blind overlooking the decoys. It was about 25 degrees which is cold here. We only got 2 mallard drakes and 5 divers. Not enough ducks to even talk about. If ya'll wanna see the lake go to google earth and type in Black Bayou Lake, Hosston, LA.
Good hunting and fishin',
JBJ

Attachments

• morning on the bayou.jpg
    morning on the bayou.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0

Pony

Rear Admiral

Sounds like opening day of gun deer season this past November for me.....but without as much wind. It was 0F...........the worst part was getting all sweated up walking to the tree stand. By the time I got out there I was peeling off layers.

The pic below was during an ice fishing trip a few years ago during some bad weather. We had a blizzard the day before and then a cold front moved through. It got down to -36F at night and was at most -20F during the day. I had to use a snow blower to get to the ice. I have NEVER seen water freeze that fast before. I knelt down to bait a tip-up after cutting the hole and my pants froze to the lake in a matter of seconds. The next morning when I went back out I had to re auger the holes completely.........I couldnt even chip them out with my iron chipper. In the pic its about -26F. I loved it though.....I'm wierd like that......I love it cold.

icefishing0038xs.jpg

jbjennings

Captain

"Cool" pic! I've always wanted to go ice fishing.. I knew it got cold in Wisconsin, but not THAT cold!

BTW, How do you know where to drill the holes? Do you record on a gps the coordinates for creek channels or ridges or holes or what? Or do you just drill them over a certain depth water? How long does it take to get a bite when they're biting?
Just curious,
JBJ

Last edited: