Question for POND TUNES powered sub

a70eliminator

Captain
Can you help me wire this up, I haven't got a manual but here's what I have.
4-6.5" 4ohm full range speakers
1- bazooka 8" 100w powered sub 2ohm

Head unit is a JVC k-gd320 200w x 4
18 rms x 4 @ 4 ohms

It has RCA line outs left and right and regular wire speaker hookups too.

Is it possible that I can incorperate the powered sub and still have 4 channel
or do I just loose 2 channels in favor of the sub?

Next need I worry about the sub being only 2 ohms the head unit requires 4 to 8 ohm speakers, I'm hoping being a powered sub it won't matter?

I'm thinking I have 2 too many speakers

Thanks for the help

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Question for POND TUNES powered sub

While waiting for Pond Tunes....I would think you would use the 4 channels from the deck to feed your 6.5" and use the line out RCA's to feed the Bazooka, assuming it has pre-amp type inputs?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree with Bob,The RCA inputs should work fine while leaving the other 4 speakers connected.

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks guys I just don't want to blow another head unit, I was thinking it would be like trying to run 5 channels off a 4 channel amp. I have everything right here in my basement including my boats battery. The reciever does have two extra rca outs, just don't know for sure if I can use the 4 channel low level outputs and hook up the powered bazooka to the high level RCA's too. I think I'll wait for the POND TUNES guy, but I do appreciate the input, right now I have the bazooka plugged into the R-L RCA out and 2 speakers on the front L and R wire outputs, the rears are just vacant.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I think you might have it backwards, the RCA's are the low level outputs which is what should be going to your bazooka and the deck's speaker outputs are high level which should be going straight to your 6.5's. You won't blow the power amp in your deck hooked up that way. I have a Sony deck in my boat that has 4 ch spkr outputs that go to 4 x 6.5's for normal listening and it has 3 sets of RCA's front/rear/sub. The front RCA's go to a 4 ch amp that drives 4 6x9's, the rear RCA's go to another 4 ch amp that drive another 4 6x9's and the sub go to a mono sub amp that drives 12 incher, been this way for 6 years now with no problems, an no I don't cause a problem out on the water, it's mainly used at the dock with the neighbors gathered around having a few wobbly pops.

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can you post a picture on the back of your head unit? It is my understanding that a head unit that is designed for a preamp, powered sub would have a short line coming out of the back with RCA hook ups on the end. At least that is how my Sony, (can't remember the model) is set up.

In any case, this wire/RCA jacks are mono and already clipped for low frequency bass. My unit also has a separate volume adjustment for this line to control how loud/hard the sub hits.

a70eliminator

Captain

Well guy's I just bit the bullet and hooked it up.

I simply wired it for 4 speakers 2 front and 2 rear (typical)
Then I just plugged the subby into a set of RCA outs and it works yipee!

Fader and balance is good and the bass sounds fantastic, don't know whats going to happen if I crank up the volume, I'm going to just run it for 20mins or so and see if anything gets hot, if it's ok then I'll increase the volume and play with the gain knob on the sub.

I'm hoping the subby's 2ohm load isn't going bother the reciever being it's built in amp in the is doing all the work?

UnregisteredUser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't be surprised if you smell a little heat or a burning wood smell at first. Every system I have built did this. I have also heard in the past it is not a good idea to run the sub too high for a while. I always cut the amp to 1/2 power for a few weeks, and then gradually bring it up in power over the next week or so.

As far as the OHM difference, not to worry, the built in amp of the powered sub woofer is matched.

a70eliminator

Captain

Oh cool I'm tickled, well 20 mins. of medium low volume and the aluminum heat sink is darn hot, like almost too hot to hold for very long but still sounding good, what I've now done is, turned off unit disconnected subber, powered back up and running at same volume for another 20 mins and see just how much if any extra heat is generated by the sub. I'm an experimenter.