the most dangerous sport

oops!

Supreme Mariner
im just watching a programe on sports......

they are counting down the worlds most dangerous sports....

football........ was one easily thought of......while there was lots of injuries....there was only 5 fatalities while playing football last year.....(amature and pro)

boxing.........550 deaths in the ring since the 50's........while the publishers did say a few participants ended up a few bricks short of a full load...it was not the most dangerous.

sky diving........an extreme energy rush......sometimes.....things just go wrong.....and people die......but still not the most dangerous sport in the world.

its fishing. !.....yep......the toll of deaths included hi speed boating collisions with suberged objects......drownings weather related drownings and alcohol related fishing/boating deaths.......

some times facts just kinda make ya wanna go fishin !

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: the most dangerous sport

I read somewhere that fishing has (by far) the largest number of regular participants of any other sport, worldwide.

Now it can claim another #1 trophy :eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think its between fishing golf and running/jogging

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nonsense.

1. Deaths per partipating thousand might be plausible, but totals mean nothing. Billions fish. . . only a few million play organized team sports.

2. Not everyone on the water is fishing. In some places nobody on the water is fishing.

3. They did not include drinking as a sport, though many consider it as one.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Classifying fishing as a dangerous sport and then inject boat accidents with it is bogus in my opinion. Now when a big fish like a shark pulls the angler into the water and thumps him a good one, then that is a fishing accident. What about the anglers that are in their truck hauling their boat on the way to the lake and have an accident, is that considered as an accident to relate to fishing?

The boating accidents should be only included in recreational activities and not as a sport. A sport in my vocabulary is when competition is involved.........SS

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Classifying fishing as a dangerous sport and then inject boat accidents with it is bogus in my opinion. Now when a big fish like a shark pulls the angler into the water and thumps him a good one, then that is a fishing accident. What about the anglers that are in their truck hauling their boat on the way to the lake and have an accident, is that considered as an accident to relate to fishing?

The boating accidents should be only included in recreational activities and not as a sport. A sport in my vocabulary is when competition is involved.........SS

I agree I saw this on Manswers on spike. Why not throw in every boating activity in with fishing for that logic. So i guess watersports/boat racing are somehow related im willing to bet if you checked the figures they came up with included every boating incident whether related to fishing or not. But its Tv and they are looking for shock value.

Also I think its stupid to use fatalities to calculate danger in a sport. Getting a lifelong injury or issues should be a factor. I would guess hockey because they play so many games and rough each other up pretty good. I saw an interview with Gretzky where he counted off all the pins in his legs arms and back. He stated that in competitive sports you dont complain or talk about injuries.

Shizzy

Ensign

that show also said the Deer is the animal most likley to kill you.

oh well, they put plenty of T & A on that show to make it alright by me... :D

scipper77

Commander

that show also said the Deer is the animal most likley to kill you.

oh well, they put plenty of T & A on that show to make it alright by me... :D

That is true! Deer kill more people in the US than any other animal. This of course is because of the number of people that hit deer with there cars and the deer rolls through the windshield.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I read somewhere that fishing has (by far) the largest number of regular participants of any other sport, worldwide.

Now it can claim another #1 trophy :eek:
:D

i gues i ust got edumacated :D i thought the number 1 sport was the one that you floor it, go left, floor it, go left. i think it's called racin or somtin :D

chiefalen

Captain

Would err how would one put it, without getting JB to drop a piano on your head considered sport.

The thing people do most on the honeymoon. Hm and not leave the room for day's on end.

Cause i bet more people die from that, than any other sport.

Nuff said.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

After reading that one post about the person passing away on the toilet, could that be considered a sport? Seems like that was not the only incident of that happening :D

D

DJ

One also has to consider that fishing can be both: occupational and sport.

I've always considered boxing (any fighting sport) as insanity. Why don't we just sanction a few small wars and take bets in Vegas? A new channel (ESPN WAR).

Of course someone is going to get hurt/killed.:( Isn't that the point?

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have read the most dangerous scholastic sport is cheerleading. Injuries per number of participants is more than any other school sport.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

At one time I know the most dangerous Motor Sport was Drag Boat Racing. They would losing 2 or 3 drivers a year back in the day.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I have read the most dangerous scholastic sport is cheerleading. Injuries per number of participants is more than any other school sport.

Ok, I just rolled my eyes when my daughter wanted to be a varsity cheerleader, I thought it was just a very expensive popularity contest. But by the time she made the squad she'd been banged up enough from the gymnastics training to require surgery, and now seems like she gets bruised up more regularly than when she was on the wrestling team (yeah they have a ladies wrestling team at the high school, surprised the heck outta me, too, which she was on for one semester freshman year, only cause the coach recruited her out of PE). A coach that makes 'em run the bleachers. Have to admit it's an actual athletic activity. And that's not even what they call "competitive cheerleading" -- the school district won't let 'em do the really dangerous stuff, they save that for the private gym competitions.

Anyways, I was having a problem with attributing so many deaths to the "sport" of fishing. I was thinking, it's only a "sport" if it's competitive -- you should only count tournament fatalities (which I'm sure there've been a few -- don't forget lightning strikes). Until I realized, if there's more than one of ya in the boat (or even different boats, in the same area), it's a competition.

But yeah, don't blame us for the crazy wakeboarders.

[note to mphy98: nascar is probably the most popular for watching, but how many actual drivers are there?]