93 Suzuki DT75-Have I damaged lower unit?

Wesley426

Recruit
I removed the lower unit to change the water pump impeller, but in doing so I pulled the shifter rod loose inside the lower unit. I cannot tell from the repair manual how this rod connects inside the lower unit and do not know if I now have to disassemble the entire lower unit (remove bearings, etc) or is there an easier way?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 93 Suzuki DT75-Have I damaged lower unit?

From what I have read in preparation to changing the water pump on my DT 50, ?If you move that shift while the lower end is removed and you set in motion a complete propeller shaft removal to reset into the correct position what I believe is the clutch dog shifter?.

Search this forum for Suzuki impeller replacement, I believe you find the information you seek.

Good luck.

James R

Commander

Sorry to say the system uses a slot cam. Once pulled out, the shift plunger extends past the end of the cam and can only be relocated by pulling the propshaft/bearing carrier assembly. Go to brownspoint.com,go to parts and look at the drawings for the clutch and lower unit. Had to do several of these.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

quite a few of the smaller yamaha lowers are designed the same way, they call it a desmodromic shift cam.
it works very well but does have the drawback of being able to be pulled away from the shift pin in the propshaft.
once dislodged it normally requires propshaft removal to put it back together.
trust me, your not the first to have pulled the rod loose.
if its a saltwater unit now is the time to seek professional help as corrosion can make bearing carrier removal a bit tricky.