Proper method for small engine lay up !

chiefalen

Captain
Took me all of a half hour to drain the gas today, start it up, and run it maybe 4-5 minutes shut it off, check the oil and let it cool down. Second pull it was running.

I'm talking about my 10 hp backup generator.

I guess the old man< me still has some marbles left.

Cause when i drained it was about a gallon and a half in it, just what i thought i left in it.

This is what i like to do to lay it up, only used in emergency's and has maybe 10-15 hours of running time on it maybe 20. And i have this thing 14 years maybe a little longer.

When i first got it i changed the oil in it, first off, 30 weight straight.And pulled the plug and made sure the gap was right. Went and bought a spare plug and taped it to the machine, so i don't have to look for it.

Than put a gallon in it and ran it make sure all was well.

I shut the gas cutoff at the tank off as it ran to make the bowl run dry. Doing this never failed me in having it start when i turned the valve back and let gas run to the carb.

I also do this with my 70 hp 2 stroke evinrude, run the carbs dry, 35 years never failed to start on the first or second try. I do this with all my stuff, weed wacker, snowblower, power washer, go kart, riding lawn mower, all the small engines i have.

I never use sta-bil or any other gas additive,never. That always messes up my carbs and i wind up having to break down the carb to get them clean all the little holes. Just did a guys snowblower down the block yep sta-bil even after last year i told him not to use it.

Told him next year i ain't doin it if he puts it in.

So a few times lights go out and i fire up the generator, and one outside light above the garage is wired into the inside of the garage, don't ask it just comes on if you flip the switch inside the garage. I didn't wire my house.

So i change the oil in the unit once after about 5 hours of use what the heck not even a quart in it.

All the use this thing say was a steady 10 hours cause a tornado picked up a construction trailer on the only road into or out of my development and dropped it straight on the road and knocked down all the trees lining the road.

No one was hurt my oldest was at a friends house so she stayed there overnight, and the only way in was a walk of about a mile, mile and a half to the house from the main road.

I had gas for it so it ran steady for 10 hours, six zones it works, garage, cause i have a fridge., and a freezer in there, the kitchen cause of that fridge, both furnaces, minus the compressors, don't need them in a emergency, the family room cause of the tv and central to the house, and one bedroom upstairs, so the kids can watch barney on tv or whatever.

So my house in pitch black outside no street lights looks like a x-mas tree lighted up.

And that must mean it's a invitation for all hours of the night for people to knock on my door to ask me questions, that all i reply the same way when the lights go out.

Get a backup generator, have it hooked up, heres some candles have a good night and shut the door.

At about 12 hours maybe a little longer cause i wrote down how many hours i ran it on my clipboard where i keep all the oil change info for the cars, i changed the oil again.

Thats it guys,and gals.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Proper method for small engine lay up !

Don't you just love it when things work!

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: Proper method for small engine lay up !

maybe thats why my new 6 year old generator doesn't work. old gas and haven't changed the oil for years. haven't run it in 6 years though, maybe its time for some maintenance :D