mp3 player please educate me

a70eliminator

Captain
Ok here's my question, my girls have these little tiny things that play music they download off the computer, they are not expensive ipods I don't think? Just plain old MP3 players right? They look sorta like a memory stick and they have little tiny earphones, one of them plays video with the song too. Anyhow, I bought a JVC stereo and it's ready for ipod (adapter not included) and says it plays mp3's also, well the adapter for ipod has a big computer looking plug on it, nothing like what the little mp3 players have, are they meant to just use that hole you plug the earbud into for connecting to the stereo and if so I'm still needing some sort of adapter, gosh I hate electronics, It seems so easy for some people but I'm not that type of radio head, thanks for anything. The mp3 players just look like they use a standard USB cable + the earphone plug.

okboating

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mp3 player please educate me

Yes, the Ipod hook up will only work with Ipods. This usually allows you to control the ipod thru the stereo system (you can navigate it thru the stereo remote). What you need is an adapter to go from the headphone output of the mp3 player to whatever input is you are going to use on the stereo. This can sometimes be 3.5/or 1/8th " plug (this is the common headphone size), then you take this into the stereo. Sometimes they have a 3.5mm or 1/8" plug, but more common would be just to use rca connections.
I personally like to use standard mp3 players and not ipods. I have a memorex 512 unit that has an sd slot, I have used this unit for about 4 years now, it takes one AAA battery, and usually will last me all summer mowing my 4 acre lawn. I prefer this simple little player, it is tough as can be and has even been thru the washing machine. Plus I do not have to mess with I tunes, you just drag and drop whatever you want on it, just like a thumb drive.
Dave

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

x2 what Okboating offered. I have/run a JVC (700) stereo in my truck with the ipod adapter. The adapter (about $50 off Ebay) will allow you to control /operate the ipod ( and only an ipod) right through the stereo controls. It also charges the ipod as it's played so you never run out of batteries. I like it and just leave my ipod plugged in and hidden in the glove box to give me my choice of 5000 "favorite tunes" at the touch of a finger. The mp3 player function on your stereo works with the output of ANY music player (mp3, ipod, CD player, etc) that has a headphone output. You just need that male to male adapter (available from any radio shack, wal-mart, etc). Cheap fix with great versitility but you control your music selection through the device AND it will not charge it either. ( Charging can usually be done by purchasing and running a seperate adapter cable if you need it though.)
hth

Shizzy

Ensign

FYI, Ipods are fairly cheap nowdays. I just bought my O.L. an 8gig (2000ish song capacity) Ipod nano for $150. they sell a little 1 or 2 gig one for like $50.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I think when it said it "plays MP3's" that means that when you record on the CD you can put it on in MP3 format. My Sony plays MP3's so when I make a CD for the boat I record it in that format, this way I can put approx 150 songs on 1 CD instead the usual 20.

Shizzy

Ensign

It sounds like his can play an MP3 disk as well as plug in to an Ipod.

for the cost of an Ipod and its storage capacity, I would go for that over burning disks.

a70eliminator

Captain

Thanks guys, got it all sorted out now, just need the patch in cord.