DT30 Charging system

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got this motor running good....real good , now my only concern is the charging system, how do i hook up a gauge to monitor the charging system, i have a fresh deep cycle and everything runs well,but i hooked up my charger to the battery and it was only half charged,something aint right. Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: DT30 Charging system

Did you slow charge the battery before using it. Need to do that at least overnight.. To check the charging system connect a multimeter on DC volts across the battery and note the voltage. Start the motor and run at about 1K rpm. The voltage should indicate higher than the base voltage. At about 2K rpm you should see something in the order of 14+ volts.I have both an ameter and a voltmeter on my Suzuki rig but I usually reference the Voltmeter to check before I start up and once I am running.
The voltmeter is connected between the ignition "on" terminal on the switch and ground.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: DT30 Charging system

James, yup..i slow charged for 24 hrs prior to use, ran great,started right up,my concern is cause im buying a CMC PT-35 trim/tilt and want to make sure battery's charging,only have room for 1 battery on a 13' whaler...less of course i loose one 6 gal fuel tank, but i would rather have the 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3

Thanks for the reply.