Advice on outboards

joe murray

Recruit
Hi, I was looking for some advice on buying a new outboard. I plan to get a 70-80hp engine for the coming season and I'm looking for advice for a particular make that is reliable, durable, easily maintained and will last the long haul. I#m looking for one for fishing etc, and hope to get one from new that I will look after from then. Thanks in advance for any advice. So far I'm tied between a merc,honda or yamaha.. Also any advice on either getting two stroke or four..?

D

DJ

Re: Advice on outboards

We have NO idea what type of boat. Give us some clues.

Any outboard, today, is a good one. The bad ones have long since been weeded out.

I suggest you deal with a dealer you trust. Period. That can make, or break, your boating future. Brand is a non issue.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I had money for a new outboard I'd go with a Evinrude E-TEC. Check'em out.

joe murray

Recruit

Thanks for the advice DJ, I'm looking to put it on a 19ft fishing/skiing boat. I want to buy the engine new as I will be able to know history and maintenance as well as having it for the long haul.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Joe, glad you got your post posted. as i said privately, i would seriously look in available close servicing. in some european markets, service center are few and far. certified service on a warrantied motor is essential, or you can void your warranty.