My internet finally fixed!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
I have been battling comcast for 3 months now about my internet connection. I am supposed to be getting 16 Mbps download speed. I was getting only 3-4 Mbps for the last 3 months. I at first was paying for just internet with no TV from them. You have to pay more for internet alone if you are not a TV customer. At that point I was paying for 8 Mbps and I was getting like 9-10 Mbps during that time. I was not going to complain about the extra speed i was getting. I got a flyer in the mail like 6 months ago that had their packages. Well i was paying more for single internet, (8 Mbps) than i could get 16 Mbps internet with 1 Digital cable box for a lesser cost. So I called them and there was a promo with free install and i got a digital TV box with on-demand, 16 Mbps internet and tech support. I jumped on it. Guy came and installed it. Did speed tests on the PC. I was getting 2 Mbps. He said that he had to call and have the signal "tweaked" and sat at my pc and ran the speed test several times whyle on the phone and told the results to whoever he was talking too. Well after 15-20 min of this he had it to 17-18 Mbps down and 5 Mbps down. It was good. 2 weeks later the problems started. The internet was slower than before and the signal was like 3-4 Mbps. It was so bad that the guide on the TV would take 2 min when i paged down on the remote. I had 9 techs come out in the next few months after that and all of them spent hours here. I signed all of their papers and they told me that in a couple hours it would be fixed by some kind of system reboot on comcasts side. I missed a lot of work by having to be home for these techs. Well you know how it goes when you call support. Noone knows what you are talking about. So they ran new cable under my front yard to the pole. That did not fix it. Tech number 11 came out and ran from the pole to the pole across the street. He said that in 2 hours it would be ok. Nope! Tech 12 came out 3 days later. He ran some tests and said there was nothing he could do. So i finally got mad!!! I called the office and asked what was going on!!! The office said that all they could do is send a tech out and check it out. I said "Look there is all new wires and all new everything and this would be the 13th guy that is coming out!". I got a guy from the service area and he said some thing that i did not understand. He logged on to a PC in the office. Said it was fixed and gave me his cell phone number and told me that if it was not right when i got home to call him. I went home and im now getting almost 20 Mbps down!!! All is finally good!!!!!

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: My internet finally fixed!!!

Good deal! Man that is smoking now!!

Our High speed cable is 7mbps at best..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

LOL don't even have cable on my road....... :(

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

at one point during all these guys coming to my house i was getting 5 Mbps down and 23 Mbps Up. I did not know why my upload was so high! They changed it back fast when they got calls from the development behind me that about 30 people were getting kicked off and on. I think that they added a NOD somewhere. 23 Mbps is unheard of. The guy on the phone did not believe me that i saw that on my screen. Then the next day the tech was here and he said that he did not think that cable was capable of upload speeds like that. They had something jacked up and it was messing up a lot of people in that neigborhod behind me. Oh well its fixed now and im getting like 18-19 Mbps now average. Takes like 10-12 min to download a DVD now. WOW!!!!

WizeOne

Commander

According to that test, I am getting 26 mbps down and 6.7 mbps up.

Why is there such a difference between upload and download?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

According to that test, I am getting 26 mbps down and 6.7 mbps up.

Why is there such a difference between upload and download?

Try pushing that old barge or yours up hill some time...:D

Xcusme

Commander

I have been battling comcast for 3 months now about my internet connection. I am supposed to be getting 16 Mbps download speed. I was getting only 3-4 Mbps for the last 3 months. I at first was paying for just internet with no TV from them. You have to pay more for internet alone if you are not a TV customer. At that point I was paying for 8 Mbps and I was getting like 9-10 Mbps during that time. I was not going to complain about the extra speed i was getting. I got a flyer in the mail like 6 months ago that had their packages. Well i was paying more for single internet, (8 Mbps) than i could get 16 Mbps internet with 1 Digital cable box for a lesser cost. So I called them and there was a promo with free install and i got a digital TV box with on-demand, 16 Mbps internet and tech support. I jumped on it. Guy came and installed it. Did speed tests on the PC. I was getting 2 Mbps. He said that he had to call and have the signal "tweaked" and sat at my pc and ran the speed test several times whyle on the phone and told the results to whoever he was talking too. Well after 15-20 min of this he had it to 17-18 Mbps down and 5 Mbps down. It was good. 2 weeks later the problems started. The internet was slower than before and the signal was like 3-4 Mbps. It was so bad that the guide on the TV would take 2 min when i paged down on the remote. I had 9 techs come out in the next few months after that and all of them spent hours here. I signed all of their papers and they told me that in a couple hours it would be fixed by some kind of system reboot on comcasts side. I missed a lot of work by having to be home for these techs. Well you know how it goes when you call support. Noone knows what you are talking about. So they ran new cable under my front yard to the pole. That did not fix it. Tech number 11 came out and ran from the pole to the pole across the street. He said that in 2 hours it would be ok. Nope! Tech 12 came out 3 days later. He ran some tests and said there was nothing he could do. So i finally got mad!!! I called the office and asked what was going on!!! The office said that all they could do is send a tech out and check it out. I said "Look there is all new wires and all new everything and this would be the 13th guy that is coming out!". I got a guy from the service area and he said some thing that i did not understand. He logged on to a PC in the office. Said it was fixed and gave me his cell phone number and told me that if it was not right when i got home to call him. I went home and im now getting almost 20 Mbps down!!! All is finally good!!!!!

I like http://www.speedtest.net/

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I just had a problem with my computer. iboats and 3 other sites either wouldn't come up at all or were 1 to 2 minutes or more to load.
This all started when my ISP did an server update. (this past Sunday) talks to techs and had everything checked and they basically said it was my computer. Even though I have 2 computers that do exactly the same thing.
Turns out to be nothing more than a bad modem.
They gave us a loner to try and it work great now.
Off to get a new modem tomorrow.