2004 Yamaha 50 hp TLRC will not idle

airranger09

Recruit
Hi, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a Yamaha 50 hp 2 stroke, 2004 outboard that will not idle for me. I has not been run in a while so before attempting to start the engine I replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel filter, installed an additional inline filter, drained the fuel from the tank, replaced the fuel with fresh 93 octane fuel 10 gals. I also added Stabil -ethanol protector to the fuel as well as a pint of seafoam. After charging the battery the engine will start for me however will not idle, it just chokes and sputters and dies. I engage the throttle (with the indent pushed in) so I can rev the engine right after starting, it will run fine above 900 rpms however if I get close to the neutral position it dies on me. I have run it for about an hour and it seems as if carbon is still burning off as smoke burps out every so often but not frequently. The engine sound as if it is running really well just cannot get it to idle. Thanks....

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2004 Yamaha 50 hp TLRC will not idle

Sounds as your carbs need a good cleaning. After that, if it still stalls, check your throttle linkage setting.