full synthetic at what mix ratio?

snyder

Recruit
Hi guys,

Who here is running full synthetic and can you really mix it 100:1? I have twin 93 2.5 200hp mercs (they run great). I am tired up sucking down the fumes so I bought 4 qts of amsoil saber outboard synth. Anyone out there running it and what are you mixing it at? Thanks guys.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: full synthetic at what mix ratio?

Well, If I had something north of twenty grand in outboards I would be very unlikely to violate the maker's instructions on lubricating them.

That would include not using any oil not TC-W3 certified and not using any mix leaner than 50:1.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I agree with JB. OMC used to advise a 100:1 mix on their motors, but reversed their advice back to 50::1. Merc never advised a 100:1 mix.

Is the Amsoil TCW-III rated? if not, you might like to not use it.

snyder

Recruit

Thanks for the input guys. Too good to be true? I spoke with the tech department (yes they have one 715-392-7101) and was told they have field tested this product at 400:1 without detonation. AND they have never fielded a warrenty call for a 2-stroke with this product. Plus they confirmed 100:1 mix for my motor. I am going to run it at 80:1 and keep you posted.;) I included their press release below. (JB, I never saw a forum member with 30+ thousand posts. now thats conviction)
========================================================

AMSOIL SABER Outboard, from AMSOIL INC. of Superior, WI, is a special blend of multiple synthetic base oils and select additives designed for lean mix ratios in outboard motors. Clean burning SABER Outboard prevents plug fouling, improves throttle response and reduces smoke and lowers emissions. The specially formulated two-stroke oil prevents corrosion and reduces friction and wear. It is recommended for applications specifying TC-W3 or API TC.

Recommended for use as a 100:1 pre-mix, SABER Outboard is compatible with most mineral and synthetic two-cycle oils and offers the following benefits:

* Prevents plug fouling and exhaust port deposits.
* Extremely versatile; may be used in range of applications, not just outboards.
* Cost effective compared to oils mixed at 50:1.
* Produces low smoke/ low odor and reduced emissions.
* Exhibits low aquatic toxicity, better for lakes, rivers and streams.

Instructions: SABER Outboard should be mixed with gasoline at 100:1 for normal service in all types of outboard motors, personal watercraft and jet boats, as well as snowmobiles and ATVs. For "Severe Duty" applications such as racing and continuously operated industrial or commercial motors, richer mix ratios of 50:1 to 80:1 are recommended.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

You might be able to run it at 80:1 or 100:1 and be fine - but I've never believed the Amsoil hype. They may make good oil but i certainly wouldn't violate the manufacturers recommendations for lubrication if it were my investment. I knew what i was getting into when i bought a carbed 2-stroke and left it at that.

j_martin

Admiral

The oil has nothing to do with detonation. That's like telling you you can run your car without oil in the engine without burning out the headlamps. Detonation is caused by fuel composition, compression, and timing, in various combinations. Oil, if a factor, would cause detonation at heavier concentrations.

Whatever oil you use, use it at the manufacturer's recommended ratio. There's more in engine design that affects ratio than in the oil itself if it is up to the task, that is meets minumum specifications. I have a 80 year old 2 cycle engine that ran on 30 weight oil at 16:1. It runs on modern ashless 2 cycle oil at 16:1.

Amzoil, I suspect, doesn't meet TCW-3 specs required by the motor manufacturer. If you use it, you will void your warranty.

If the smoke bothers you, PennZoil makes a full synthetic TCW-3 oil that runs great and doesn't smoke too bad. Don't run it in an engine that is not completely broken in, though, or you never will get the best performance out of it.

On the Amzoil bit, there are several supporting vendors over on the screamandfly.com site that make a pretty good living cleaning up the carnage.

Hope it helps
John

Alex38

Recruit

Amsoil makes an outboard oil called HP Injector, but it's also suitable for a 50:1 mix. That's what I'd try first if I were you. 100:1 would not sit well with me.