Stainless Steel Prop???? Help

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello Fellows,
I am really confused on how to select the right prop for my boat. I currently have a Volva Penta 5.0GL Stern Drive 220hp V-8 305 c.i.d. I have a 20ft.Larson Senza 206 bowrider with a 14.5 X 19 aluminuim 3 blade prop that got bent up last summer. I want to upgrade to a SS 3 blade but not loose anything but would'nt mind gaining better whole shot and more mph. WOT for my boat in rated at 4400 to 4800 max rpm. Could someone here please help me out in finding the best SS prop? My family and I are tubing and skiing and usually around 7 of us on board. I did'nt want to switch over to a four blade beacause I was told that I would loose mph but gain better out of the whole. What do you guys think?? I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Angel:confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stainless Steel Prop???? Help

Unfortunately when changing any prop there is some mystery.When changing from al. to ss this adds even more mystery.With some info from you the experts should be able to help.
We need to know your max rpm and speed at wot with a light load.(when prop was good).Wouldn't hurt to know wot rpm and speed with typical load.
With a little luck the right prop can improve overall performance.
Hustler makes an al prop that delivers close to ss performance at al prices.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Steelespike thanks for responding,

With a full load last; I remember I was at approx. WOT 4,600 and 44 mph. that was with the prop already slightly scraped up at two of the blade's ends. My problem is selecting the right size, pitch. I've read many post and many have diffrent suggestions but I'm not sure whether to go up or down in pitch. I'm really confused about the whole prop thing.

Angel

a70eliminator

Captain

My set-up is pretty close to yours, 20.5 Chaparral 5.8
I had been running 4000 R's with 19p aluminum with a full load of people, I switched to a 18P Turbo 3bl. SS and now I can get 4200 with a full load, but have to back off WOT when by myself. I wasn't concerned with the out of the hole performance and really don't like like flogging it like that, there's always been more than enough power to ski with. Overall the SS got the RPM up a bit and thats the only difference I noticed, I should have just went with aluminum and saved$$.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Angel - IF your memory is correct and you were getting 4600RPM with a slightly damaged prop then you probably shouldn't change pitch at all. Your current prop in good condition would likely have a slightly higher (47-4800) WOT, so going any lower in pitch and you risk over-reving the engine. Increase the pitch to bring the WOT down and you will sacrifice pulling power for the skiers.

The Hustler (new version is called Legacy) was mentioned above, and it is a very good choice for an all around aluminum prop. It is also vented which, if you have through hub exhaust (Mercs do - not sure about VP's) it lets dome of the exhaust gas to escape just behind the blades. This causes "slippage" which get the engine into the power band a little sooner. Short version - faster hole shot.

Ram57

Cadet

If you running 4600RPM with a full load your pitch is fine. The first thing you need to consider is how your damaging the prop to begin with. If your boating in water with rock bottoms or submerged objects I would say stay with the Aluminum prop. SS doesnt give like aluminum so you run the risk of damaging prop shafts and gears when striking objects. Much cheaper to replace a Al prop than have lower unit work done. Hope this helps

Bondo

Staff member

The first thing you need to consider is how your damaging the prop to begin with. If your boating in water with rock bottoms or submerged objects I would say stay with the Aluminum prop. SS doesnt give like aluminum so you run the risk of damaging prop shafts and gears when striking objects. Much cheaper to replace a Al prop than have lower unit work done.

Ayuh,.... Exactly the thoughts I have....

Replacing/ Repair props is Much Cheaper than Replacing/ Repairing Outdrives....

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks fellows,

I really appreciate all your input. So you guys recommend the The Hustler (new version is called Legacy) and stick with aluminium with the same pitch. Would you say stick with the 3 blade or 4?

Motorlady

Recruit

That Volvo engine should be running at wide open throttle 4400-4800 RPMS. I do not recommend that you push it any higher. Cruising rpms should be 300-500 less for the 5.0L GL. If you are going to be using stainless, please make sure that you have full coverage insurance on your boat. Aluminum props fold, stainless props cause the outdrive/prop shaft to take the impact. If this did occur, your insurance company will 90% of the time, cover the impact/damage less your deductable. I can not help you with the size of the prop. We prop all of of our prior to leaving the dealership. Andrea;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hello Fellows,
I am really confused on how to select the right prop for my boat. I currently have a Volva Penta 5.0GL Stern Drive 220hp V-8 305 c.i.d. I have a 20ft.Larson Senza 206 bowrider with a 14.5 X 19 aluminuim 3 blade prop that got bent up last summer. I want to upgrade to a SS 3 blade but not loose anything but would'nt mind gaining better whole shot and more mph. WOT for my boat in rated at 4400 to 4800 max rpm. Could someone here please help me out in finding the best SS prop? My family and I are tubing and skiing and usually around 7 of us on board. I did'nt want to switch over to a four blade beacause I was told that I would loose mph but gain better out of the whole. What do you guys think?? I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
Angel:confused:

Lots of good info here....reading your post most of your boating is done at the 20-40 mph range....and most wake boarding is done @ 19-24 and sking sanely..:eek: maybe 35...ok 40..:p..About 85-95% of your boating will done @ those speeds...speeds where a 4 blade SS shines. I dont believe there is much hole shot difference, but there is quite a bit of difference in midrange punch and lower planing speeds....I hope you will not spend more that a 3-5 min burst @ wot..maybe 20..but watch your engine temps and oil pressure..This is just a personal opinion a four blade SS will be money better spent in that it will outperform a 3 blade at those speeds with lift and midrange response..

Yes a 3 blade will outrun most 4 blades...but a well designed 4 blade ss on a deep v hull my experiences has been never more than a 2 mph loss and for only short bursts. Something to think about

Strickly a opinion you milage may vary.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TailGunner,

Thanks, I will look into the four blade. Some say that an aluminum would be less expensive in the matter of incase I bottom out or run over something. It is said that I could cause alot more damage because the SS doesn't flex like an aluminum. I could possible cause drive and gear damage which would be alot more costly. What do think about this??

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Yes more than possible.....everything is situational. If you run in a body of water with a lot of submerged reefs....sand bars or stumps it it not wise to run a SS. But remeber you have a bullet and a skeg that's draggn and a hard hit will do just as much damage.....in fact it takes a hard glancing strike for a SS to take the blame for knocking out a leg.....and the SS prop has a system for dealing with such accidents...but a alum will cause less stress in such a occurence....

You may want to post your engine type....merc or volvo...and the gearing in your outdrive to find your present slip ratio. I suspect your underpropped currently.

little side note when you say your running 7 people i assume you have two or three in your bow while your underway????

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tail Gunner,

Yes I always place weight in front, so three always in front. As far as the engine it is a Volvo 5.0Gl 220hp not so sure on the gear ratio. It's a 305 V-8, the prop I have on now it the one that came with the boat out ot the dealer and I bought it brand new. The prop has stamped on it 14.5 X 19 and it's aluminum.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well your numbers show 20% slip going on. I would not hesitate to recommend a Stilletto bay pro 2 in a 18 pitch...The prop is a very strong lifter aiding in getting your hull up and out of the water creating less drag and probably gaining some top end speed..Much improved midrange response and lower planing speeds.

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Vo...andard&**********=693492933&*******=278930606

Now if you ran without such heavy loads it would make a diff, but since you run heavy.... propping light (under) is probably a good thing. By the way with the right prop and a lighter load that boat can probably hit 54-56 mph

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you again Tail Gunn
I will check that prop out.

Angel

Varago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

AngelC you may want to check out the Merc enertia prop. The sales pitch is 30% better holeshot and 2 mph on the top end over your standard SS. I got very good results with it. All speeds are gps with 20 gallons of gas and 200lbs of me on board.

With a 08 Bluewater Vision 20' VP-Gxi(270hp) 3000lb
OMC Viper 23" 4600rpm 53mph 0-30 8.0 sec 3 blade
High Five 23" 4600rpm 52mph 0-30 6.5 sec 5 blade with small vent plugs
BlackMax 21" 5000rpm 51mph 0-30 ??? stock 3 blade
Enertia 21" 5000rpm 56 mph 0-30 6.25 sec 3 blade with solid vent plugs

check this test report
http://www.trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1222309&sectionid=315

just my two cents

Dave Lee