Which O/B for My BassTracker

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1995 Bass Tracker Pro Deep V-17.I have a 1995 Mercury 40 hp 4 cylinder in it right now.The boat is rated for 90 hp.I need a bigger motor.This engine runs great,28 mph at 5500 rpm.But when you get 3 guys in it with a full livewell,and all thier gear maybe 25 mph tops.Hard to get back for weigh in sometimes.On time that is.I found a 1997 Evinrude 90,and he will trade for my 40.It comes with controls,just don't know what else I will have to do to switch them out.I'm mostly thinking of all the gauges in the console,wiring,Just don't know what else.Any info would help me make me,make up my mind what to do.Thanks in advance

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Which O/B for My BassTracker

If it is rated for 90hp then I would go for 90, or at least 70. If you are condident that the 90hp Evinrude is a good motor than I would go for that one if it is priced right. You will have to pull through another wiring harness and switch controls, but basically it should just be plug and play. If it will not plug in then that is not where it goes. You can probably get it swithed out in less than a day. I would expect that you could get about 45mph out of the evinrude and feel like you have power to spare.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what is the model # of the 90, so we can better advise you. i don't know if the 90 was FICHT or not.

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think I would first wonder why anyone would swap a 90 for a 40?And I sure as heck would want to see it run.Lacking that a compression check.
Just guessing you can probably get by with most of the gauges the tach may be the problem.Not much help but someone will be along with more info.
You do need more hp just keep in mind the 40 will use about 4 gallons per hour(gph) at wide open throttle(wot).The 90 about 9 gph.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do not know the serial# of tyhe Evinrude yet.There was going to be some cash involved,also.This ad was from a Tucson,Az,individual.He has a lot of outboards,Might even be a boat shop.Not sure yet.But my 40 runs perfect,I just had the carbs and fuel pump rebuilt,by proffessionals.I have seen motors like mine for $2,000.00.He wanted 2900.00 for the 97 Evinrude 90.I just came up with this brillant idea,this morning.lol.After fishing this weekend in the wind.It would be so,nice though.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S. Thanks for the advice.I can see that I have a lot to think about and do.

D

DJ

Hello from Gilbert.

I know of the guy in Tucson. He does a lot of O/B horse trading. He fixes them up and sells/trades them.

The only two guages that may be an issue are the tach. and trim guage. The tach. will work by changing the pole setting to six.

You may have to replace the trim guage, not sure.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I just decided to just keep my 40 hp Merc.It just runs too good and it does'nt use any gas.28 mph is fast enough for me.And I wont have to spend any more money.That means plenty of minnows for crappie season,and a year long Tonto Pass for my truck and boat.Thanks guys,you made up my mind for me.Good boating.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I think you made a good choice in staying with what you have/ have faith in. Even harder to get to weigh in when that new used @#$%! motor won't start! :)

BTW, not sure what RPM's that motors rated at but you might consider reproping on those days when your loaded down with extra #'s. Migth buy you a few MPH anyway.

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starcraft,
You may be able to tweek a few more MPHs out of your 40. If you don't have power trim, set the motor out an extra notch or so to free the hull up. You might consider a slightly smaller prop pitch to allow the 40 to spin a few more RPM above the 5500 (be cautious with any RPM above the max rated). This may be more noticeable with your buddises riding with you. I know those old 4cyl. Mark 58 ran better in the 6's. I think you have the better motor.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys.Yea,the 40 is perfect for me.I have been out three times,3 different lakes,and can not run it out of gas.I don't have it WOT for too long,too many fishing holes to be passed up.lol.Yea,don't fix what is not broken,that is my new moto when it comes to the Bass Tracker,I did need a solonoid 2 weeks ago,a lot cheaper then whatever,lol.