Trust me!!! Don't ever . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
. . . paint your double entry doors on the coldest day of the year so far and then change to all of your new hardware at 8:00 PM because even though the paint is not dry yet you have to or you can't close the door!!!!

GRRRRRRRRR!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :mad:

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Trust me!!! Don't ever . . .

You know they're going to dry tonight and you won't be able to open them tomorrow because they will be stuck shut. :p

No need to do today what you can put off until tomorrow. ;)

oops!

Supreme Mariner

time for heat lamps kevin......we finally got a cold snap this weekend...two feet of snow....and minus 20 with wind chill

fishrdan

Admiral

I feel your pain...

Several years ago I painted our new front door with Rustoleum and used the old door for a work bench that day. Little I know it was going to take 2 weeks before the Rustoleum was dry enough to handle and install. Wifey was kind of ticked having a front door with all sorts of gunk funk you would find on your workbench, oil stains, paint splatters, hammer marks...

You know you're a redneck when you have a bench vise hanging on your front door :D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I feel for ya QC. But isn't Southern California Cold Snap an Oxy-moron??:p:p;) Or did it actually drop below 60??:eek::eek:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's almost worth the trouble of removing the doors and moving them to a warmer area or tenting them with plastic and add heat.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

It's almost worth the trouble of removing the doors and moving them to a warmer area or tenting them with plastic and add heat.

I hear the Keys are nice this time of year. :p

Shizzy

Ensign

Cold snap? I cant imagine it that cold there.

Its -8 degrees this morning. I wouldn't paint anything outside for fear of the paint being frozen in the can.... :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cold is definitely relative, but 50ish and now raining so it was damp., Still tacky this morning, but they didn't stick. Alkyd enamel which likes above 60 I believe and dry . . . just like THE LAST 4 WEEKS. The worst part was trying to install the hardware without messing up what was once a nice job . . . And then to top it off while I am putting the deadbolt in the main door, neighbors lab came bounding in and left a bunch of hair stuck on the door. Kept My dogs at his house and his dog gets my door.

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, I didn't use the term cold snap, that was the accident prone Canuck . . . I said coldest day this year, which is probably also incorrect as it is actually just the coldest day yet this season . . . annnnd the wettest. Still tacky and I am getting worried.

Humor me here, yes I know I should repost this in non-Boating tech or Boat Restore, but . . . once the weather drys and warms slightly, will the paint eventually dry? Or am I screwed? Our xMas party is Sat. (yes you're all invited) and a sticky door is going to suck. That's why I tried to sneak it in . . . Long story, but I needed a new latch (fell apart in my hand) and the new one is a different shape and it exposed the original paint, sooooo both doors had to be re-painted and I had to get all of the hardware. Can you believe that the dummy, blank hardware is more expensive than the working pieces?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

QC if you can remove the doors from the hinges and move them inside for a day or so they will dry. Even if you have to do one at a time. Just cover the door opening with plastic and wrap the door opening to look like a large gift, (from the outside) it should be fine. And no one will be able to tell the doors are off.

Here's a second thought. Build a frame large enough to cover the door by a few feet deep. Three sides and a top to fit around the door and ageist the house. Cover it with plastic or that blue tarping. Secure it to the house with painters tape. Place a small heater in the frame and let it run for a day or so your doors should dry just fine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Tent it with plastic and get some heat to it. Do one side then the other.

LOL so we are all invited to the party...... you know the first thing we are going to do is touch the doors to see if they are still tacky!!

Shizzy

Ensign

I dig the tent idea. sure would speed things up.

BTW, they are forcasting -16 degrees here tonight. :p

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

QC,go get a heat dish take the doors off point the heat dish at the doors about 5 feet away from the doors and they should be dry in about couple of hours. question,why did you use oil? All the improvements have been being made over the last 20 years in the latex enamels. There are some really good looking latex enamels out there.

WizeOne

Commander

I feel for ya QC. But isn't Southern California Cold Snap an Oxy-moron??) Or did it actually drop below 60??:eek::eek:

Once again LT, you da man! Tell it like it is. All those So Californians are outta touch wid da real world.:p:D

Hey, QC, how far is Chino Hills from N Whittier?

QC

Supreme Mariner

question,why did you use oil?

I had the paint from round one a few years back . . . these are galvanized steel doors. I honestly don't know if that matters or not, but that's what I had, just needed a fresh coat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey, QC, how far is Chino Hills from N Whittier?

I kinda grew up in Uptown Whittier which is probably what you are referring to . . . it is about 15 miles due west from here. Actually worked in Whittier for the first 20+ years of my career.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

LOL so we are all invited to the party...... you know the first thing we are going to do is touch the doors to see if they are still tacky!!

BAAA HAAA HAAA ! :D

aspeck

Staff member

... that was the accident prone Canuck . . .

PERSONAL ATTACK!!! PERSONAL ATTACK!!!!
The newest moderator is engaging in personal attacks! :eek: :p :D