1985 evinrude 4hp dies after ?10 min.

indistress

Recruit
Motor runs o.k. for about 10 minutes then dies. It feels like it might be too hot. I have installed new impeller. Fuel squeeze ball remains hard.(Don't know if it matters but the motor runs fine from idle to half throttle; from half to full not much increase in rpm's) Help?

D

DJ

Re: 1985 evinrude 4hp dies after ?10 min.

Most likely the carb. is gummed up. Time for a cleaning and rebuild.

The parts are available right here on iboats.

If it has a cork float, replace that too.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I agree with DJ. Sounds like the high speed jet is clogged up with old yuck. :cool:

indistress

Recruit

Thanks DJ and Zephyr for getting back to me so fast... I will get the carb rebuild kit and start there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

have you check your spark when it dies?

indistress

Recruit

tashasdaddy... I read something in the forum yesterday that suggested checking that. Guaranteed I'll check it next time. What did they say could get hot and stop working or start arcing?

tashasdaddy

coils, if they are original, they get old and crack, and fail when they get warm. the coils are under the flywheel, if you need to go there we will post the procedure. under there looks similar to this. these are very bad coils.

boatmotor0012.jpg

indistress

Recruit

Thanks again tashasdaddy. We ordered the carb rebuild kit, and head gasket so that we can verify no plugged up water jackets. My buddy has the means to pull the flywheel so it will just take time.

tashasdaddy

PULLING FLYWHEEL

you need a harmonic balancer puller, you need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel. standard hardware store bolts will strip out, causing more problems. loosen the flywheel nut, leaving it on so it protects the thread. thread the bolts in 7/16 of an inch. then tighten the puller, adjust so it has a straight pull. now tighten the puller, rap the center bolt with a hammer, then tighten some more. you may have to let it sit over nite, and repeat in the morning. this is a compression fitting, it will eventually POP!!. do not loose the woodruff key that goes in the groove of the flywheel and the crank shaft. then installing the flywheel, it has to be totally clean, no oil, woodruff key in place. then torque the nut to the specifications for your particular motor. if you do not do this, the woodruff key with shear, and you will be repeating these steps.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0