carpet install question / progress and pics

bear_69cuda

Commander
Morning gang,

I'm building a fishing platform for the bow of my boat. My question is how to install carpet where my storage hatch doors fit. I would like them to fit snug and was curious if anyone has some advice. Is there some standard rule of thumb for gap clearance between the hatch covers and the deck? I'll be installing ss piano hinge on the outter edges port and starboard sides. and when the doors are close they will rest and be supported on inner 1 x 2" frame rails.

Thanks in advance!

I painted the treated wood with epoxy paint to seal and keep moisture out.

Attachments

• jse_transfer_28OCT08_616.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_616.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 0
  • jse_transfer_28OCT08_618.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_618.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • jse_transfer_28OCT08_625.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_625.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: carpet install question

You'll get the best result by carefully cutting the carpet to fit each area, leaving every edge about 1/4" short. Take the carpet to a carpet shop that does edge binding. Last time I had it done it cost me $1/ft. Select a binding that matches your color and when you get it back they will look great. When installed, the bindings around the hatch should barely touch each other.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hi,

Thanks for the info-

I plan on gluing the carpet to the hatches and deck, and use staples to hold the edges of the carpet to the bottom side. My question is how much space do I need between the deck and the hatch to have a snug fit of the carpet? I need to remove some wood from each hatch hole in the deck. Not sure what binding the carpet will do for me?

see attached.

Attachments

• jse_transfer_28OCT08.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I plan on gluing the carpet to the hatches and deck, and use staples to hold the edges of the carpet to the bottom side.
That's fine- my current boat carpet is done that way. Use monel or stainless staples.

My question is how much space do I need between the deck and the hatch to have a snug fit of the carpet?
If you mean the wooden parts, then just enough room so they open and close without rubbing. I'd probably leave 1/4" all around to allow for swelling or movement. NOTE: if you do it this way then the carpet should be cut EXACTLY the same as the wood- the added perimeter bindings will close up the gap. When installed, the bound carpet pieces should align with each edge.
Now don't expect it to be waterproof- that's not what you asked. But if done correctly the bindings will fit nicely against each other.

I need to remove some wood from each hatch hole in the deck. Not sure what binding the carpet will do for me?
Simple- it'll make the finished job look better and the carpet won't unravel. No more, no less.

bear_69cuda

Commander

I'm interested in the binding option... Still not sure if I get it 100% How much material is added to the carpet when binded? 1/4"? you said to cut carpet 1/4" short fo the binding option... My deck is 3/4" plywood, so how does the binding edge wrap around or attach to the wood? Do you have any pics?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The binding ONLY wraps the edge of the carpet. It has nothing to do with the plywood. I don't have any images to post, but go take a look at the pre-cut carpet runners for sale at the local WalMart (or whatever)- that's the binding I'm talking about.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Ok,

So it just finishes off the look... I still need to cut carpet long enough to wrap around 3/4" wood so I can secure to the back side, and subtract 1/4" if I use binding... correct?

Thanks for the help!

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

The thickness of the carpet should be 1/8 " the already carpeted floor and the new hatch will make up the 1/4" both sides. Take a sample of the carpet and wedge it between the hatch and existing floor if it's too tight you'll know.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: carpet install question / progress

Re: carpet install question / progress

Finished carpet on deck. The door's fit with hardware in place! :D

Thanks for the advice!

Next boat will be a glass of vinyl floor....

Attachments

• jse_transfer_28OCT08_646.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_646.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 0
  • jse_transfer_28OCT08_652.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_652.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 0
  • jse_transfer_28OCT08_647.jpg
    jse_transfer_28OCT08_647.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0