Start or Not?

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am seriously considering buying a boat next week. It is a very good price and he says he'd be happy to run it on the lake for a serious buyer. The problem is that it will be pretty cold here in the PNW for the next week or so - somewhere near freezing. I'd hate to run it and then freeze the manifolds or block on the drive home.
It has a 4.3 Mercruiser, Alpha 1 leg.
Seeing as it's so cold, what would you guys do? What is a reasonable expectation?

Grant

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Start or Not?

I think you would hate more buying a boat that doesn't run right.

I really doubt it would freeze on the drive home so as long as you winterize it shortly after getting I think you should be fine but maybe wait for more qualified opinion but I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself.

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Need to bump this post.
I am going tomorrow morning to buy the boat and will be test running it. Tomorrow will be near freezing but temperatures are supposed to be closer to 20 degrees or so the rest of the week.
Should I try and drain the block, manifolds and risers before I head home or should I wait until later?

Grant

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Play it safe, Drain as soon as possible.

reelfishin

Captain

First off, I wouldn't buy a boat like that without a sea test to make sure the motor and manifolds are all good.
I'd also drain it as soon as it came out of the water or as soon as you own it.

I used to keep my old inboard boat in here in Jersey till the end of December in brackish water. I never had a freezing problem even though the temps were often down in the teens. If I thought it might freeze before I got back to it for the next time out, I'd dump some RV antifreeze into it to be safe. It was freshwater cooled so all I had to deal with was the pump, manifolds and risers. I did forget the freshwater washdown tank once but all that broke was a cheap plastic hose nozzle.

Bondo

Staff member

I'd also drain it as soon as it came out of the water

Ayuh,.... Exactly......

It ain't that big of a Deal,....
1 Block drain, each side,...
1 Manifold drain each side,..
Then pull the BIG hose from the circulating pump....
And,...
If it has P/S,.. Drain the P/S Cooler....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ditto....im here in kelowna.....as soon as you reach the shore do as bondo says........heck......fog the thing right there.

if you are unsure how to do that.....get an owners manual......and have a look at the location of the drain cocks......if you are still unsure...pm robj, if i remember correctly hes in the richmond/new west area

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks everyone. I got it! $2300 for a 19.5 foot welded aluminum with a 4.3 Mercuiser and decent interior. I had to run to Everett, WA to get it. Then delay after delay meant that I didn't get it home to White Rock until 6:30 tonight.

It ran great and started right up. I ran it for about 20 min and got it fairly warm. There was a problem with the tilt/trim switch so I had to run a jumper to the motor to get it to raise or lower so I really couldn't run it at speed. No harsh noises, no coolant leaks, easy shifting - it all looked good to me.

It's in my driveway with the bow up, leg down and a 100 watt bulb under the motor. Supposed to be -9 C tonight (about 15 F). I sure hope I can keep it warm enough to pull all the plugs out and drain it tomorrow morning. Unfortunately it is supposed to snow tonight so it will be a cold uncomfortable day tomorrow.

oops! Thanks for the intro and robj. I lived in Vernon for 3 years and spent many summer days boating on Okanagan and Kalamalka. As much as I like White Rock, the interior is just about perfect boating country.

Grant

Grant Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class

After I read all your comments, I went out an removed at least one end from every hose including the power steering cooler. I also removed all the plugs I could find including one on each side of the block. I have a ceramic heater on it tonight then tomorrow I will turn it over with no coil wire on to try and get some more water out. I will also raise and lower the bow a few times to see what else I can get out.
Not sure about anti freeze though, I don't think air can freeze and do any damage.

Thanks again,

Grant

Bondo

Staff member

I will turn it over with no coil wire on to try and get some more water out.

Ayuh,..

Don't Do That,.... You'll burn up the Impeller....

Drain it with the Drains...

If you think you Didn't get All the water out,...
Pour Antifreeze into it...

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations on the new rig, Grant. :) Maybe you should go out and buy yourself some new fishing tackle now. After all, it is Christmas! Have fun, and above all, be safe.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Congratulations and don't forget the lower unit oil and some photos.